"Friends, family and fellow travelers" Personal Page by melosh
All these pictures are personal and not for publication without consent of the subjects and myself. They are shared here for VT and family member enjoyment only and because they can lead to travel ideas or can serve as leads into travel stories that I have yet to figure out how to fit into tips or travelogues.
This hat was purchased with twelve others before this boy was born over 25 years ago. Cheaper than $2 each when bought by the dozen, they were given to friends and family when they came to visit us during the two years my wife and I lived in Mexico.
A great memory was the time was when my parents, my wife and I took four hats like this to the Guadalajara airport to greet a family of four good friends on their first visit to Mexico. Initially we stood at the back of the crowd outside the exit from baggage claim and customs with the hats on our heads. After they arrived, while they waited for their bags they nervously looked for us through the glass but did not recognize us even though they looked right at us and we were the only people in hats. Before they came out we changed positions. At this early hour there was no one at the rent a car station so my father took a seat and placed his head on the counter as if he was a sleepy agent. My mother, my wife and I sat down on the floor in front of the counter with the hats covering our faces. When they recognized us with a great laugh we got up, placed the hats on their heads and gave them good Mexican abrazo welcomes.
It seems people were always leaving things with us when the left for home, but I can not remember anyone leaving their hat.
I wanted to take one of these ladies home. The other is the wife of a best friend.
I married a women with a sense of adventure-- She once went across the Sahara desert on the back of a date truck -- but as time has passed she has found less and less time for travel. She does not deny that she could survive a trip under the conditions of economic travel that I prefer, but I think she rather wants more of a vacation then an adventure. She works many hours in a labor of love, so perhaps it is not surprising that she now prefers sleeping to walking strange streets exploring.
The good part is that she does not resent my going off traveling as long as I bring back something for her school children.
What is it about travel that brings out the romance in long term relationships? Could it be the escape from children and other responsibilities?
Could it be the sharing of new experiences?
Could it be the togetherness in the face of a different and challenging world?
Could it be the alcohol without need for a designated driver?
Could it be the romantic music?
Could it be the lack of everyday distractions of home?
Could it be the memories old and new?
My wife shares the mask she got on a solo trip to New Orleans.
A friend on a trip to Puebla, Mexico decided to buy his wife. who had been unable to make the trip, a full collection of dishware. This was a quite modern shop, but the selection process eventually required sitting on the floor. There was method in this madness, because he had all his friends along to help him carry it home. And to top it off, his wife loved it!
More Personal Pages (11)
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 395 Reviews
- 738 Photos
- 29 Countries
- 24 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: feels like spam everytime I..."
updated their Profile Page "If you have never been, you can not know."
- updated a Haiti Travel Page "Fascinating and surprising Haiti."
- Wrote a Review Are you going on a mission to Haiti? in Haiti What to Pack
- Uploaded a Photo to "Are you going on a mission to Haiti?"
- melosh and heydelin are now friends.
- Commented on heydelin's profile page
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Peru Intro, 44 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- China Intro, 28 reviews, 53 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dominican Republic Intro, 19 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mexico Intro, 42 reviews, 15 photos, 4 travelogues
- Guatemala Intro, 10 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 45 reviews, 9 photos
- Uruguay Intro, 12 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Manaus Intro, 9 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Liberia Intro, 10 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Haiti Intro, 7 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Hotels
- 22145 Reviews - 53809 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3078 Reviews - 5774 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15551 Reviews - 30943 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23056 Reviews - 47246 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 11939 Reviews - 26463 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1927 Reviews - 3713 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 319 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8353 Reviews - 17025 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 1905 Reviews - 4447 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 325 Reviews - 885 Photos
- Toronto Hotels
- 4263 Reviews - 8768 Photos
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3341 Reviews - 7498 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2036 Reviews - 3787 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7623 Reviews - 19412 Photos
- Panama City Beach Hotels
- 193 Reviews - 288 Photos