"Geffrye museum Christmas past expo" Personal Page by jo104
The use of evergreens is a pagan custom but early Christyians adopted them as a symbol of everlasting life. The kissing bough hanging from the ceiling, decorated with apples & oranges, is the precursor of the modern bunch of mistletoe.
This is a middle class Victorian drawing room of the 1850's. The Christmas tree originated from Germany
An English invention in the late 18th centuary children would sometimes give their parents written seasonal greetings in order to show their ability at handwriting. The first commercial Christmas card was devised by Sir Henry Cole in 1843, intended to save Cole, who had numerous business & social contacts, from writing individual letters.
A tradition adopted from America an adaptation of leaving shoes out on St. Nicholas day, a tradition that was taken to America by Dutch settlers.
During the early twentieth centuary artificial decorations gradually began to replace evergreens as it was tidier & less expensive. The paper lanterns reflect the fashion of the time for all things Japanese
More Personal Pages (2)
Written Feb 2, 2010
Written Apr 18, 2006
Our family pets living in Cape Town
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 960 Reviews
- 2,137 Photos
- 14 Countries
- 50 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
- Commented on marielexoteria's profile page
- Posted in Travel London Forum "Re: Travelling to Europe. How to..."
- Wrote a Review Clean B&B with lovely English... in Polonnaruwa Hotels
- Uploaded a Photo to "Clean B&B with lovely English speaking hostess"
- created a Aachen Travelogue "More VA adventures on Euromeet"
- jo104 and Trekki are now friends.
updated their Profile Page "From South to North to East and back again"
Upcoming MeetingsSee All Meetings
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 100 reviews, 201 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 171 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cape Town Intro, 71 reviews, 105 photos, 1 travelogue
- Krakow Intro, 33 reviews, 122 photos, 7 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 113 photos, 2 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 38 reviews, 103 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kandy Intro, 30 reviews, 83 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 34 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 22 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jersey Intro, 26 reviews, 57 photos