"Geffrye museum Christmas past expo" Personal Page by jo104
The use of evergreens is a pagan custom but early Christyians adopted them as a symbol of everlasting life. The kissing bough hanging from the ceiling, decorated with apples & oranges, is the precursor of the modern bunch of mistletoe.
This is a middle class Victorian drawing room of the 1850's. The Christmas tree originated from Germany
An English invention in the late 18th centuary children would sometimes give their parents written seasonal greetings in order to show their ability at handwriting. The first commercial Christmas card was devised by Sir Henry Cole in 1843, intended to save Cole, who had numerous business & social contacts, from writing individual letters.
A tradition adopted from America an adaptation of leaving shoes out on St. Nicholas day, a tradition that was taken to America by Dutch settlers.
During the early twentieth centuary artificial decorations gradually began to replace evergreens as it was tidier & less expensive. The paper lanterns reflect the fashion of the time for all things Japanese
More Personal Pages (2)
Written Feb 2, 2010
Written Apr 18, 2006
Our family pets living in Cape Town
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 914 Reviews
- 1,941 Photos
- 14 Countries
- 48 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
- updated a Trincomalee Travel Page "My once lovely home"
- Posted in Travel Trincomalee Forum "Re: how is the weather in January?"
- Commented on jo104's profile page
- Uploaded a Photo to "P&S Bakery"
- Wrote a Review P&S Bakery in Sri Lanka Restaurants
- jo104 and Paulm1987 are now friends.
updated their Profile Page "From South to North to East"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 100 reviews, 201 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 171 photos, 7 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 33 reviews, 122 photos, 7 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 113 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cape Town Intro, 64 reviews, 79 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 38 reviews, 103 photos, 4 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 34 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 22 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jersey Intro, 26 reviews, 57 photos
- Oxford Intro, 27 reviews, 50 photos