"Geffrye museum Christmas past expo" Personal Page by jo104
The use of evergreens is a pagan custom but early Christyians adopted them as a symbol of everlasting life. The kissing bough hanging from the ceiling, decorated with apples & oranges, is the precursor of the modern bunch of mistletoe.
This is a middle class Victorian drawing room of the 1850's. The Christmas tree originated from Germany
An English invention in the late 18th centuary children would sometimes give their parents written seasonal greetings in order to show their ability at handwriting. The first commercial Christmas card was devised by Sir Henry Cole in 1843, intended to save Cole, who had numerous business & social contacts, from writing individual letters.
A tradition adopted from America an adaptation of leaving shoes out on St. Nicholas day, a tradition that was taken to America by Dutch settlers.
During the early twentieth centuary artificial decorations gradually began to replace evergreens as it was tidier & less expensive. The paper lanterns reflect the fashion of the time for all things Japanese
More Personal Pages (2)
Written Feb 2, 2010
Written Apr 18, 2006
Our family pets living in Cape Town
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 899 Reviews
- 1,931 Photos
- 14 Countries
- 44 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
- Commented on one of Dabs's Paris tips
- Posted in Travel Cape Town Forum "Re: what to wear when you have..."
- Wrote a Review Cricket mad in Sri Lanka Sports & Outdoors
- Uploaded a Photo to "Condoms"
updated their Profile Page "From South to North to East"
- updated a Unawatuna Travel Page "An ideal location to relax at"
- jo104 and Acirfa are now friends.
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 100 reviews, 201 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 171 photos, 7 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 33 reviews, 122 photos, 7 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 113 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cape Town Intro, 64 reviews, 79 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 38 reviews, 103 photos, 4 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 34 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 22 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jersey Intro, 26 reviews, 57 photos
- Oxford Intro, 27 reviews, 50 photos