"Bullfight! (contains graphic photos)" Top 5 Page for this destination Mexico City Travelogue by acemj
Mexico City Travel Guide: 2,165 reviews and 4,484 photos
The bullfight is divided into three "suertes" or acts, each announced by the sounding of horns. In the first act, the bull enters the ring and is met by several "toreros" who bait the bull into tiring charges toward their colorful capes.
After the bull has tired a bit, the "picadores" come out riding heavily padded and blindfolded horses. The bull will attack the colorful padding of the horse and when he does, the "picador" will stab the bull between the shoulder blades to further weaken it.
In the second act, the toreros return to the ring and challenge to bull with their "bandilleras". The bandilleras are what you see in this picture, metal tipped spikes that the toreros drive into the bull as cleanly and artistically as possible.
By now the bull is usually fairly exhausted, but he should have enough left to make some spirited charges in the third and final act against the matador himself. After another blast from the trumpets, the third act begins and the matador comes out to face the bull.
After making as many daring moves as possible and gathering up "oles" from the crowd as he goes, the matador sizes up the bull for a death blow.
In the end, the matador drives his sword deep into the bull between his shoulder blades. If executed properly, the bull will crumble to the ground and will be moments from death.
After the bull is down, another man comes out (on the left in this picture) and draws a small knife from its sheath and with a quick blow to the bull's brain, makes certain that his suffering is over.
- See All Enormous place!
- See All Various things to squeeze in if you have...
- Ahhh, the tourist bus
- See All Microbus (peseros)
- See All Drinks in Coyoacan
- See All Traffic
acemj's Related Pages
Mexico City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The biggest city in the world..."
- "Heighten your senses in Mexico City"
- "Huge Metropolis"
- "Mexico City"
- "Mexico City"
- "Moscow-Mexico City flight via Paris (part 1)"
- "Mexico City, the Megalopolis."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mexico City
- Hotels in Mexico City
- Transportation in Mexico City
- Nightlife in Mexico City
- Restaurants in Mexico City
- Shopping in Mexico City
- Warnings and Dangers in Mexico City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mexico City
- 63 Reviews
- 157 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 21 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (72)
Have you been to Mexico City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mexico City
- Posted in Travel Barcelona Forum "Hair Salon near Center"
- updated a Mexico City Travel Page "Heighten your senses in Mexico City"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Various things to squeeze in if you have time"
- Wrote a Review Enormous place! in Mexico City Restaurants
- Commented on one of Carguja's Mexico City travel pages
Photos in Mexico CitySee All Photos (157)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 208 reviews, 263 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philadelphia Intro, 154 reviews, 181 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 105 reviews, 163 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mexico City Intro, 63 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 82 reviews, 115 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 50 reviews, 138 photos, 5 travelogues
- Quito Intro, 47 reviews, 132 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dublin Intro, 86 reviews, 87 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 74 reviews, 92 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 80 reviews, 80 photos