"Ode to the Frosty Freeze" Top 5 Page for this destination Kentucky Travelogue by Krumlovgirl

Kentucky Travel Guide: 2,162 reviews and 5,502 photos

Call them what you will- Frosty Freeze, Dairy Bar, Dairy Shack, Freezer Fresh, etc. To me they're all Frosty Freezes. What exactly are they? Well, they're locally owned little businesses that generally don't have indoor seating, whose main function seems to be to sell ice cream. Soft served ice cream. Only I have yet to find one that ONLY sells ice cream. Usually french fries, burgers, onion rings, pizza bread, and tenderloin can also be found. Real ice cream is used for the shakes and such and although everything can be greasy and is incredibly bad for you overall, it is darn good. Unfortunately, Frosty Freezes seem to be dying out due to towns getting bigger and Dairy Queens moving in. Still, a few do exist and I wanted to use this page to pay homage to them.

Berryman's in Mt. Sterling. Now purists would say that Berryman's is technically no longer a Frosty Freeze since they moved out of their old drive-up building and now inhabit the space of a former Dairy Queen. However, it IS an institution in Mt. Sterling. Sure, the chili dogs aren't what they used to be and the last time I got a peanut butter milkshake it seemed to be mostly vanilla, but at least they're trying.

The Campton Frosty Freeze. It's really hanging in there. All I've had from it are the milkshakes, but they do a really good chocolate peanut butter shake.

Clay City! I used to go to this one everyday because I went to school across the street. I loved their grilled cheese sandwiches, milkshakes, and french fries. Still do, in fact. Once when my friend Heather and I were walking back to the school I almost got hit by a truck. I was ten. So I wrote this little song about it...

"Rebecca got run over by a semi
Walking back from the frosty freeze
She was always a little skinny
But now she looks just like her ice cream."

Ian gets credit for this sign. He saw it and read it to me and I had to turn around and take a picture of it.

I grew up going to this Frosty Freeze. The best things to have are the french fries, pizza bread, and peanut butter milkshakes. To this day I haven't found better peanut butter milkshakes than here. When I was a kid they used to rent videos AND VCRs. Since we didn't have a VCR we took advantage of this deal they would occasionally have where you could rent a VCR and 8 video tapes for $20 or something. It was a big deal and all the neighbors would come over.

• Page Updated Oct 26, 2006

Comments

Krumlovgirl

“I dream of a better tomorrow when chickens can cross the road without having their movtives questioned.”

Badges & Stats in Kentucky

Have you been to Kentucky?

Latest Activity in Kentucky