"Greece and Turkey Trip Day 7 September 14th" Greece Travelogue by lashr1999

Greece Travel Guide: 27,620 reviews and 78,563 photos

. After visiting the old city we walked through the new city on our own. The new town of Rhodes was founded by the Greeks who did not leave with the knights in 1522. Much of the new city was built by the Italians after they took it over from the Ottoman empire. Mussolini had much influence on the city, so there are many art deco buildings mixed with the neo-classical structures. In the new city there are traffic lights, stores, hotels etc. From here you can see Mandraki Harbor and the tower of St Nicholas from the 15th century at the end of the pier. There are 3 windmills which still stand and lead to the tower. 2 deer statues stand at the entrance to the harbor. These statues were built by the Italians who brought actual deer to Rhodes to combat the snakes of Rhodes. It is said the Colossus of Rhodes once stood close to these statues.

After having some ice cream we walked to the beach, which was a few minutes away. This beach was crowded with people. We went into the clear waters and stayed for awhile before heading back to the ship.

On board the ship we went tp the captain’s dinner in which they served baked Alaska. Then we saw the show on board the ship with some magic, dance and singing acts. We had few drinks, went to the club, then I tried my luck at the casino but lost.

Greece and Turkey Trip Day 8 September 15th

Early in the morning we docked at Heraklion, Crete. Not many people got off at this stop when we docked. I , Luke, Allie, Kelly and Costa got off to explore the city. Joe and ella got off and went somewhere else in the city. The city was not one of the beautiful islands of Greece. In fact, the more interesting part of the island was on the other side, too far from where we were docked to go to. Heraklion does have a good museum from what I am told. After going to so many museums, you get tired of seeing them. Instead we headed to the center of the town. Here we saw a fountain. As we went further we found places to shop. They had a couple of 3 for 2Euro stores which the girls liked. The stores reminded me of the store of 3rd avenue in the Bronx except the stores in 3rd avenue are a lot better: We walked around and then found a place to use the internet. I tried to send emails but it would not work. The guy running the internet place was very honest, he handed me my camera back after I had left it on the computer. That camera is one of the 3 things I can not lose on my trips! There was a postcard of the beautiful places in Crete, all of them were far from where we were. I brought the postcard since I would not be seeing these sights this trip. The island was not that spectacular but I have to thank God for the honest people on the Island.

In the afternoon, our ship headed to Santorini. Santorini had actually been one large island until 1645 BC when a volcano in the middle of the island erupted and Caldera was formed. Today it is a group of five islands: Thira(the main island), Thirasia, Aspronisi, Palea Kameni and Nea Kameni. The latter 2 are now volcanic islands.

When in Santorini we were taken to the Oia village on the North Side of the Island.

Oia has traditionally been a seafaring village. In the 1980’s there were 500 permenant residents, 75% were mariners.

Everyone was amazed by the beauty of this village, it was even better than Mykonos. White washed houses are stationed in volcanic soil, many are built in niches in rock on cliffs. The travelogue continues on this page http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/72097/#TL

• Page Updated Oct 13, 2005

Comments

lashr1999

“meeting people expands your horizons / dare to dream!”

Badges & Stats in Greece