"Sights Around Hilo" Personal Page by triplehelix
I miss living up there but... you know those evil 40 year old virgin landlords... Living in "The Netherworld" as a friend of mine once put it was great. It's like living in picturesque Sweden or something. You have quiet, nature, pastures, morning mist, and best of all, you know when uninvited guests show up lol. Here's a pic of my first car parked in the driveway (I have a brand new car now hehehe)
UPDATE 10/11 - I just ordered a 700 dollar digital camera. Now I can take better pics instead of using this cheap, bad resolution, off the shelf camera!
More often than not, you will be met with rain in Hilo. Don't come crying to me if you took your vacation here expecting sun and hula skirts! Our main highway (Kanoelehua aka Route 11) runs past the airport and straight on to hotel central (Banyan Drive). Before making that turn on to the hotel stretch, stop over at Kens House of Pancakes, it's a can't miss and a famous tourist spot. Visit on a weekend and you'll meet Jason Scott Lee (actor from Jungle Book) with his friends having breakfast.
This is a nice little walkway beside the building I used to work in (horrific memories). I once worked upstairs as an Accounts Representative aka Franky, Tony, and Vinnie the bad bill collector. The office had closed its doors in April of 2004 and I'm proud to say I lasted for nearly two years there (no really, I am proud). You can find many shops around this area if you don't mind walking through what I call the bad part of town. It's not like we have mad muggings everyday here but I wouldn't dare go out walking at night in that area. It's a nice walking area in the daytime but there's just too many senior citizens around here!! Maybe its the drug store and craft store, hmmm...
Living in Hawaii, we have more of an Asian influence rather than the impression you get from the continental US. Yes, we do have white people, don't panic just yet! Most of the population here is not Hawaiian anymore, it's Japanese and Filipino. There are few pure Hawaiian's left since there was frequent intermixing during the sugar boom days of the past (I'm partial to white/asian chicks myself). Here we have a hongwanji, near were I worked before in that horrible office. Just next to it we have a Korean church but I forget the name. Next to that we have a Starbucks (surprise!!).
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 200 Reviews
- 700 Photos
- 11 Countries
- 41 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
- triplehelix and giampiero6 are now friends.
- Posted in Travel Libya Forum "New Visa Regulations?"
- Commented on one of american_tourister's Medugorje travel pages
- Uploaded a Video to Akaka Falls State Park
- updated a Budapest Travel Page "Budapest, Hungary"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Kiholo Bay"
- Wrote a Review New, Fresh, Family Living in Sogwip'o Hotels
updated their Profile Page "An Aspiring American Traveler"
VideosSee All Videos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hilo Intro, 55 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hawaii Volcanoes National Park Intro, 14 reviews, 41 photos
- Puako Intro, 11 reviews, 38 photos
- Kawaihae Intro, 8 reviews, 37 photos, 4 travelogues
- Khirbat Serjilla Intro, 7 reviews, 32 photos
- Akaka Falls State Park Intro, 6 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ninole Intro, 9 reviews, 27 photos
- Kaupulehu Intro, 10 reviews, 23 photos
- Qasr `Amrah Intro, 1 review, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- Honolulu Intro, 10 reviews, 14 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22471 Reviews - 55005 Photos
- Fort Lauderdale Hotels
- 659 Reviews - 1389 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2702 Reviews - 7926 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23320 Reviews - 48909 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15643 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2027 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3096 Reviews - 5870 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 780 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2058 Reviews - 3874 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12024 Reviews - 26762 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22905 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7829 Reviews - 20234 Photos