"Coolest icecream" Top 5 Page for this destination Florence Travelogue by fgfi
Florence Travel Guide: 5,034 reviews and 10,990 photos
In 1565, Bernardo Buontalenti, the architect to the Royal Court of the Medici family, was hired to create fabulous events for the Florentine banquets, including stage constructions, theater events, fireworks, and food. For one of his creations, he decided to chill pastry cream in the special rooms created to keep ice transported from the glaciers in Abetone down the Florence and used to chill drinks.
Now Buontalenti is the name of one of the most delicious ice cream's flavors.
Someone who likes icecream finds its paradise in Florence.
I will try to list Florentines favourite ice cream's shop.
Florentines have basically 2 differents opinions: Badiani or Vivoli, but there are also many other places which absolutely are worth a visit.
Carapina is a brand new ice cream laboratory and shop in Florence, a bit off the city centre. It offers a very good artisanal ice cream.
Badiani is the original Florentine source for fabulous Buontalenti, (registered as a trademark) the egg-yolk-rich flavor. Unfortunately it's quite far from the city center, near the football stadium.( I like also chocolate cookies flavor...).
It's closed on Tuesday
Viale dei Mille, 20/R
The other outstandin ice cream in Florence. It is in the Santa Croce area. Some locals say it's not what it used to be....In winter I go crazy for honey and chestnut flavors...
It's closed on Monday.
Via Isola delle Stinche, 7/r
Carabe' is run by a lovely Sicilian couple who bring up their ingredients from Sicilia regularly -- they also make delicious cannoli and cassata.
See also my general tips page.
Vestri is much more an artisan chocolate shop that also happens to have some amazing icecreams.
Borgo Albizi, 11r
- See All Wine aperitif
- See All Vintage
- See All New luxury hostel
- See All Oblate Library
- See All Italian Breakfast - Cappuccino and...
- See All You can finally buy tickets on the bus!
fgfi's Related Pages
Florence Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "FIRENZE - FLORENCE"
- "My Relationship With Firenze"
- "Firenze -Florence - Florenz - Florencia"
- "Breathtaking Florence!"
- "Fabulous Florence"
- "Fourth time round....."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Florence
- Hotels in Florence
- Transportation in Florence
- Nightlife in Florence
- Restaurants in Florence
- Shopping in Florence
- Warnings and Dangers in Florence
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Florence
- 94 Reviews
- 127 Photos
- 29 Forum posts
- 64 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Florence?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Florence
Photos in FlorenceSee All Photos (127)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Florence Intro, 94 reviews, 129 photos, 5 travelogues
- Mexico Intro, 14 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sicilia Intro, 25 reviews, 26 photos
- Cuba Intro, 13 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 20 reviews, 6 photos
- Malta Intro, 6 reviews, 10 photos
- Milan Intro, 9 reviews, 7 photos
- Berlin 7 reviews, 8 photos
- Madrid Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos
- France 4 reviews, 4 photos