"Chiang Mai / Chiang Rai" Thailand Travelogue by Homanded
Thailand Travel Guide: 31,311 reviews and 79,278 photos
Any time you are able to step back from your own life and become observers of someone elses you gain appreciation for that which you have and respect for those that seem just as happy without your "Creature Comforts".
This is what Chiang Rai was like for us.
Be prepared for an all day trip (if you're starting point is Chiang Mai) and MANY shopping stops along the way. Seems to be a part of the "tour package".
Although we avoided many (see warnings) it still took us about 8 hours to reach the village.
The trip was worth it!
Chiang Mai / Chiang Rai is an amazing opportunity to get to meet the Hill tribes people. Candy, toys and small token souveniers from your own country assures warm smiles from already friendly people.
Pay special attention to the children and, if you have children of your own, use this opportunity to teach them about cultures. Remember they're much more than a Picture trophy, take time to ask questions, offer insights about your own culture.
Children are specially inquisitive and will wonder up to you or play games with you if you take the time to show interest. Much too often, adults are too caught up in souvenier shopping or a good picture opportunity and ignore the little ones. Kids can be found playing games in the jungle or, with their animal friends. Laughter fills the air. Note: we did not carry chocolate but instead chose soft chewable natural fruit flavoured candy. A good secondary option are school supplies such as pens/pencils/crayons
The cultures are varied and colorful. Friendly smiles are always there to welcome you - along with plenty of souveniers. If you're seeking authentic gifts for your friends/family, acquire your souveniers here or at the Tribal Cultural center in Chiang Mai where you can also see native dances and taste delicious local fare. Proceeds go directly to the tribes people.
This tribe seemed a little bit more "standoffish". I notice also they were more apt to show little interest in bargaining. We bought some wonderful silver bracelets and head dress from this woman.
- See All Adult Entertainment Abounds !!!
- See All Need a complete guide to ALL of...
- See All BEST restaurant guide I've found
- See All Airport baggage storage
- See All General Weather information year-round...
- See All DISCOVERY AIRPASS - USD $50.00 between...
- See All BEST RESORT ON PHUKET - ON THE BEACH!!!
- See All Monkeys: Cute up close - ADORABLE from a...
- See All Phang Nga Bay Tour and James Bond Island
- Travel light! Laundry services are...
- See All Hilltribes Tour
Been to Thailand?Share your travels with the world!
Homanded's Related Pages
Thailand Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Thailand - BpraThetThai"
- "Beautiful Thailand!!"
- "Siam - Land of the Smiles"
- "*The Land of Smiles"
- "Thailand, great time but not again"
- "but where is your soul?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Thailand
- Hotels in Thailand
- Transportation in Thailand
- Nightlife in Thailand
- Restaurants in Thailand
- Shopping in Thailand
- Warnings and Dangers in Thailand
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Thailand
- 35 Reviews
- 53 Photos
- 773 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (42)
Have you been to Thailand?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Thailand
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 64 reviews, 133 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Masai Mara Game Reserve Intro, 30 reviews, 90 photos
- Wyoming Intro, 9 reviews, 86 photos, 6 travelogues
- China Intro, 33 reviews, 60 photos, 4 travelogues
- Thailand Intro, 34 reviews, 48 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lake Nakuru National Park Intro, 12 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amboseli National Park Intro, 13 reviews, 42 photos
- Bali Intro, 8 reviews, 44 photos, 4 travelogues
- Seattle 15 reviews, 27 photos
- Nairobi Intro, 12 reviews, 27 photos