"Stephansdom, in the heart of the city" Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Travelogue by Fam.Rauca

Vienna Travel Guide: 7,417 reviews and 18,490 photos

The West Front


The west side is a part of the Romanesque church.
The two Romanesque Heathen Towers flanking the Giant's Gate, and two Gothic side chapels with filigree stone windows, are a fantastic entrance to the cathedral.

Giant's Door (Riesentor)

The Main Gate of the cathedral is an imposing component of the entrance.
This element, decorated with Romanesque sculptures is remained from the church that was built here in year 1260.
The Giant's Gate was named after a mammoth’s bone that was found, on the place, through the construction works.

The South Tower (Südturm)

The imposing tower is 137m high and was finished in 1433 after 75 years of building work.
Its 343 old steps lead to a height platform that offers a lovely panorama over the whole City.
The slim building is from throughout Vienna visible.

North Tower with Pummerin

At the beginning, one should be built two same size gigantic towers.
However, it was not possible.
In the year 1579, the construction works of the North tower were broken and it was finished with a tower helmet as roof.
Here, under this roof, it hangs the most famous and biggest bell from Austria, the Pummerin.

The "Pummerin"

The Boomer Bell (Pummerin) is Austria's biggest and beloved bell, of the all Viennese.
It was formed in the year 1711, from 100 Turks’ cannon balls, weighs 21 tonnes, and was installed here, in the North Tower, in 1952.
To be heard its sound is a great experience and a joy.
At the present, the gigantic bell rings only at the New Year or at the National Feast day.
The tourists can look the Pummerin and can admire the splendid view over Vienna, if they drive with the elevator in the North tower.

Tiled Roof

The impressive roof was originally built in the year 1490, but restored after fire damage in World War II.
It is a beautiful artwork, from 250000 colourful tiles laid, that shows a double-headed eagle, the crown of the emperor and the Golden Fleece.

The famous "Giant Organ"

The Organ, was built in 1886, but destroyed during World War II.
In 1960 was installed here, in the cathedral a big and modern organ, with 125 pipes.

The Pulpit

The sumptuously decorated pulpit is one of the wonderful working in the Stephansdom.
It was created by Anton Pilgram, in 1510.
On the balustrade of the pulpit it crawl toads and lizards of stone, symbols of the fiendishness.
They are impeded by advancing from a dog, the symbol of the good.

  • Page Updated May 23, 2006
  • Add to Trip Planner (?)
  • Report Abuse

Comments

Fam.Rauca Lives Here!

Fam.Rauca

“Be not happy alone, about the wonderful things in the world. Give also a little bit of luck to others!”

Online Now

Female

Top 1,000 Travel Writer
Member Rank:
0 0 1 8 9

Badges & Stats in Vienna

  • 105 Reviews
  • 471 Photos
  • 0 Forum posts
  • 45 Comments
  • 84,679PageViews

Have you been to Vienna?

  Share Your Travels  

Latest Activity in Vienna

Videos in Vienna

See All Videos (4)

Travel Interests

See All Travel Interests (5)