"Stephansdom, in the heart of the city" Vienna Travelogue by Fam.Rauca
Vienna Travel Guide: 7,613 reviews and 19,293 photos
The west side is a part of the Romanesque church.
The two Romanesque Heathen Towers flanking the Giant's Gate, and two Gothic side chapels with filigree stone windows, are a fantastic entrance to the cathedral.
The Main Gate of the cathedral is an imposing component of the entrance.
This element, decorated with Romanesque sculptures is remained from the church that was built here in year 1260.
The Giant's Gate was named after a mammoth’s bone that was found, on the place, through the construction works.
The imposing tower is 137m high and was finished in 1433 after 75 years of building work.
Its 343 old steps lead to a height platform that offers a lovely panorama over the whole City.
The slim building is from throughout Vienna visible.
At the beginning, one should be built two same size gigantic towers.
However, it was not possible.
In the year 1579, the construction works of the North tower were broken and it was finished with a tower helmet as roof.
Here, under this roof, it hangs the most famous and biggest bell from Austria, the Pummerin.
The Boomer Bell (Pummerin) is Austria's biggest and beloved bell, of the all Viennese.
It was formed in the year 1711, from 100 Turks’ cannon balls, weighs 21 tonnes, and was installed here, in the North Tower, in 1952.
To be heard its sound is a great experience and a joy.
At the present, the gigantic bell rings only at the New Year or at the National Feast day.
The tourists can look the Pummerin and can admire the splendid view over Vienna, if they drive with the elevator in the North tower.
The impressive roof was originally built in the year 1490, but restored after fire damage in World War II.
It is a beautiful artwork, from 250000 colourful tiles laid, that shows a double-headed eagle, the crown of the emperor and the Golden Fleece.
The Organ, was built in 1886, but destroyed during World War II.
In 1960 was installed here, in the cathedral a big and modern organ, with 125 pipes.
The sumptuously decorated pulpit is one of the wonderful working in the Stephansdom.
It was created by Anton Pilgram, in 1510.
On the balustrade of the pulpit it crawl toads and lizards of stone, symbols of the fiendishness.
They are impeded by advancing from a dog, the symbol of the good.
- See All Stadtpark (The City Park) in Summer
- See All Kaisergruft - The emperors tombs
- See All A splendid, aristocratic hotel in Vienna
- Ice-skating in front of the Vienna's...
- See All Fischspezialitäten - Orth an der Donau
- See All Monuments in the city park
- See All The children bake and do handicrafts to...
- Not too much, but not too little luggage
- See All Ice Cream Parlor
- See All Public Transport
- See All DZ, Shopping center
Been to Vienna?Share your travels with the world!
Fam.Rauca's Related Pages
Vienna Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My birthplace & the place where I feel at home !"
- "VIENNA, AUSTRIA ~ MUSIC IS IN THE AIR !"
- "Rainy day in Vienna 2006, sunny in 2013"
- "WALTZ INTO VIENNA!"
- "VIENNA AND THE PASSION OF ART"
- "Vienna and its never-ending history"
- "Just More then Mozart, Strauss und Sacher torte"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vienna
- Hotels in Vienna
- Transportation in Vienna
- Nightlife in Vienna
- Restaurants in Vienna
- Shopping in Vienna
- Warnings and Dangers in Vienna
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vienna
- 105 Reviews
- 471 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 45 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Vienna?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vienna
Photos in ViennaSee All Photos (471)
Videos in ViennaSee All Videos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Venice Intro, 157 reviews, 549 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 105 reviews, 508 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rodos (City) Intro, 101 reviews, 447 photos
- Zürich Intro, 117 reviews, 427 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maldives Intro, 96 reviews, 430 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Piatra Neamt Intro, 65 reviews, 308 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Romania Intro, 73 reviews, 297 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Constanta Intro, 67 reviews, 303 photos
- Austria Intro, 61 reviews, 299 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 78 reviews, 221 photos