"Our 3 rescue-cats... desert-tabbys! - 1" Personal Page by JessH
"I love cats because I love my home and after a while they become its visible soul."
- Jean Cocteau
I leave you with some pics of my lovely 3 Dubai-desert cats - all rescued from life on the streets & cruelty.
PHOEBE was the first cat we rescued from outside my friend's house in Dubai... I never liked cats and actually preferred dogs until she came along... she was about 2 months old, dehydrated and the poor thing was covered from head to toe with cactus-thorns (she had been hiding there... stupid baby!) So we took her home and started plucking... during the whole procedure she only stopped purring to let-out a little 'squeak' whenever a thorn hurt her.
Nowadays, Phoebe is the ruler of the house, and as a "Queen" seems to sometimes despise being forced to live with two boys... but whenever she thinks you're not looking she starts cleaning them & "playing mum"...
She has quite a load voice and likes to talk... she almost sounds like a cross between a cat & a goat!
KAZIMIR means "destroyer of the peace"... he's quiet a handful, because he seems to believe that he's a Labrador puppy (he grew up with a Labrador pup at his previous foster home)
Phoebe had been alone in our apartment for 5 months & simply decided life was too boring to play 'nice kitty' and started ripping the house to shreds! So we decided to find her a playmate.
Down to the local cat-rescue we went, and fell in love with the little Siamese-desertcat cross.
Kazimir had been found by someone and presumably been kept in a small box for a few weeks...! Also, there was an obvious mark in the wound on his tail indicating that either a piece of string or wire had been tied around it, cutting deep into the flesh. As a result, poor little Kazzy had tried to chew the string/wire off, causing the wound to get bigger. A concerned friend of these horrible people rescued him.
Apart from that Kazimir has a very sensitive stomach and cannot digest processed foods. (i.e. cat food!). His stomach and intenstines are constantly bloated, and due to his stomach condition his breath was quite bad and has cause him gingivitis.
He now gets his own, special meals of raw or cooked, unseasoned meat 3 times a week and is a big, happy, healthy, snuggle-fanatic cat! He's as predictable as clock work: when we go to bed, he sits next to John's face and gives him a nudge with his nose, which signals John to live his duvet so Kazimir can leisurely stroll underneath & settle down by his feet for the night...
This little cutie-pie sat screaming under the car next to mine in the multi-storey car park at work... God knows how he got up to the 5th floor!
No mother, no siblings in sight, I wonder to this day if he was abandoned by someone or if he's the 'Robinson Crusoe' of kittens and wandered-off by himself.
Anyway, it was a few days after my boyfriend John's birthday, so my excuse for keeping him was: 'But honey... it's like your belated birthday-present...'! Thank goodness John is such a softy. One look and he couldn't say 'no'.
Even though you could hold him in the palm of one hand, he already had a good amount of attitude: if anyone got too close to his food, he'd simply climb into the bowl, stand on his food and growl (well, the growl sounded like something Gizmo from 'The Gremlins' would do... so cute!)
So, because the little guy was found in a car park, and because of his black paws, his name is DIESEL.
He is the most charming & cutest little kitty I've ever met. He has the sweetest voice, sings & calls when he wants snuggles, loves cheese (the smellier, the better!) and curls his tail into a corkscrew when he stretches. He's also an all-round scaredy-cat & frightened of all new people and objects!
Kazzy contemplating life's great mysteries...?
Nah! Just calculating the minutes till lunch!
"Well, a nap aids digestions, doesn't it?"
For some universally strange reason, desert-mix tabby cats seem to love water. It's not that they merely accept when you try to give them the annual, obligatory bath - nope: they love it!
Maybe it's something in their DNA that yearns for water because they've had to live without it for so many generations in the desert...?
We first noticed this quirky personality-trait when Johnno filled up the sink to shave. He turned around to get a towl, and when he looked again there was Phoebe up to her chin in the warm water, purring like there's no tomorrow...
Since then, Phoebe 'demands' a shower every 4-5 weeks by sitting in the sink and hitting the tap with her paw.
Kazimir also likes playing with water, but he's nowhere near as 'passionate' about it as Phoebe. Diesel on the other hand, hates water with avengeance.... at least we have one normal cat!
Take your hand out of my bath water, will ya?!
It's always a worrying and stressful time, preparing to introduce another animal to the pets in the household. Here's a couple of pointers I've learnt in the past few years:
- Always (when possible!) introduce only younger animals. The existing, older pet will usually not see a puppy/kitten as a threat to its territory, and their maternal instinct may even kick-in!
- Give both animals an escape route when they first meet. Don't lock them in a room together! If you're afraid that they may harm eachother, we found the trick with a fly-screen very helpful: hold a fly-screen between the doorframe with either animal on either side. This is perfect, as they can see and smell eachother.
- NEVER give the new animal more attention than the older one! ALWAYS feed the older pet first. Animals (dogs, cats, etc.) have very strong hierarchies, and will lash-out out anyone/anything that may want to take or be given their 'top-dog' position!
In the end, it's always up to the individual animals if they'll ever get along or not... We were simply lucky that all now our 3 cats couldn't live without eachother anymore - as you can see on the photo!
Oh yeah: once in a while tufts of striped fur fly through the air - that's just Phoebe reminding the boys who's boss! My kinda girl ;-)
Want to see more? Click here!
More Personal Pages (10)
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 561 Reviews
- 2,378 Photos
- 19 Countries
- 24 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Toblerone chocolate"
- Commented on tini58de's profile page
- Uploaded a Photo to "Go crazy at the Dubai Rugby Sevens! Nov 27-29 2008"
updated their Personal Page "Zombies and Psychos and Monsters... Oh my!"
- updated a Florence Travel Page "I'm in love... Firenze, Ti Amo!"
- Wrote a Review Finger lickin' ribs and Cajun favourites (Tex Mex) in Dubai Restaurants
- JessH and Andrew_W_K are now friends.
- Uploaded a Video to Scotland
VideosSee All Videos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 175 reviews, 631 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 82 reviews, 348 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Heidelberg Intro, 54 reviews, 178 photos, 2 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 45 reviews, 157 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Inverness Intro, 39 reviews, 136 photos, 3 travelogues
- Goa Intro, 31 reviews, 116 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karachi Intro, 22 reviews, 81 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ko Samui Intro, 19 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Warsaw Intro, 12 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mühlhausen Intro, 12 reviews, 48 photos, 2 travelogues
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
- Paris Hotels
- 22459 Reviews - 54962 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2701 Reviews - 7925 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23315 Reviews - 48908 Photos
- Philadelphia Hotels
- 2093 Reviews - 4054 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15643 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2025 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3092 Reviews - 5855 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 780 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12023 Reviews - 26760 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2058 Reviews - 3874 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7828 Reviews - 20233 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22905 Photos