"Swedish Midsummer Traditions" Top 5 Page for this destination Sweden Travelogue by Maline
Sweden Travel Guide: 12,717 reviews and 39,299 photos
Well, in my Local customs tips I have described some of the traditions associated with midsummer. In 2005 we went to a traditional celebration, and I thought I sahould share the photos. The weather was lovely, asome 25 degrees and sunny. We went to the historical setting in Old Uppsala (see my Uppsala page for info on this place) where these tradtional Midsummer festivities take place each year. It was very crowded.
In the first picture, the pole has just been erected and people started to dance.
Many children and some adults too put flower garlands in their hair on midsummer. June is usually a time when you can find a huge variety of flowers in the forests and meadows, so it is easy to venture out and pick a bunch for your garland. In Sweden we also have a flower called "Midsummers bloom", which might be suitable, save for the fact that it fades almost instantely after having been plucked.
Midsummer is when Swedes really dive into their national heritage. In the pic you can see children Folkdancers performing at the midsummer festivities in Old Uppsala 2005. The dancers are also wearing folk costumes from different parts of Sweden.
Not everyone at the festivities wears a folk costume though ;-) a t-shirt and slacks is ok too ...
Midsummer is a celebration focused a lot around children. The dances around the pole and the games are all very children-friendly. And of course many want to dress their kids in their best clothes ... but it isn't always easy to walk in your finest shoes...
In Old Uppsala where these pics were taken, there are lots of preserved old houses to check out.
However, this your boy didn't venture much further on this ladder. He stuck his head onto the second floor, than almost started crying because it was so dark up there. And down he came very fast ... :-)
Midsummer 2005 was a lovely warm day. People packed their hampers with coffee, sweet bread and strawberries and set out to join in the festivities.
Even if you're not going to dance, you can still have a picknick!
- See All Gävle
- See All A narrow country: Landscapes in Sweden...
- See All Midsummer - dancing and other traditions
- See All Good clothing is the key to a good...
- Hotel chains in Sweden
Maline's Related Pages
Sweden Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beautiful Sweden!"
- "It's in my blood"
- "Sverige - beautiful all year round :-)))"
- "Sweden - Sverige"
- "Make the right turns when you're here"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sweden
- Hotels in Sweden
- Transportation in Sweden
- Nightlife in Sweden
- Restaurants in Sweden
- Shopping in Sweden
- Warnings and Dangers in Sweden
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Sweden
- 218 Reviews
- 262 Photos
- 15 Forum posts
- 7 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Sweden?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sweden
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sweden Intro, 49 reviews, 63 photos, 5 travelogues
- Stockholm Intro, 56 reviews, 56 photos, 3 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 51 reviews, 46 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uppsala Intro, 42 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 30 reviews, 30 photos
- India Intro, 23 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Motala Intro, 16 reviews, 42 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesvos Intro, 18 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Iceland Intro, 21 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 14 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (33)
Top Sweden hotels
- Stockholm Hotels
- 4050 Reviews - 9940 Photos
- Göteborg Hotels
- 941 Reviews - 1857 Photos
- Örebro Hotels
- 78 Reviews - 206 Photos
- Uppsala Hotels
- 341 Reviews - 927 Photos
- Kiruna Hotels
- 177 Reviews - 355 Photos
- Karlstad Hotels
- 130 Reviews - 181 Photos
- Gävle Hotels
- 54 Reviews - 94 Photos
- Malmö Hotels
- 479 Reviews - 1037 Photos
- Karlskrona Hotels
- 63 Reviews - 164 Photos
- Ystad Hotels
- 33 Reviews - 92 Photos
- Jönköping Hotels
- 34 Reviews - 83 Photos
- Hornborgasjön Hotels
- 7 Reviews - 15 Photos
- Hisingen Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Växjö Hotels
- 72 Reviews - 170 Photos
- Norrköping Hotels
- 124 Reviews - 302 Photos