"Two Millennia of German Jewish History" Berlin Travelogue by Nemorino
Berlin Travel Guide: 6,984 reviews and 15,648 photos
The entrance to the Jewish Museum is through this older building, which houses the security area, the museum shop and the restaurant. From here you go down a long flight of stairs (or an elevator; it seems to be completely accessible for the handicapped) into the basement of the new building.
Here in the basement is where the "Axis of Continuity" intersects with the "Axis of Exile" and the "Axis of the Holocaust" -- all with informative and impressive exhibits.
At the end of the Axis of Continuity another long staircase (or elevator) leads upwards to the beginning of the permanent exhibition.
The known history of Jewish life in what is now Germany begins in the year 321 a.D., when Jewish residents of Cologne are mentioned in a decree by the Roman Emperor Constantine.
Detailed exhibits show Jewish life in the Middle Ages, particularly in Speyer, Worms, and Mainz.
Further exhibits are concerned with the "Rural and Court Jews" of the 15th - 17th centuries, and with the eminent 18th century scholar Moses Mendelssohn in the period of the Enlightenment.
There are also exhibits dealing with Jewish religious life and customs over the centuries, and with Jewish family life.
In 1871, the newly founded German empire adopted a constitution removing all legal restrictions on Jews, so that in theory they became citizens of Germany with equal rights. But at the same time anti-Semitism was on the increase.
The last exhibits deal with the Nazi period and the Holocaust, and with Jewish life in Germany today.
All areas of the museum contain a wealth of information and illustrative material. I have been there twice so far, and have the feeling I have only scratched the surface. It's a museum you can keep going back to, and always discover more.
See also my Things to Do Tip on the Jewish Museum.
Or click here to see how the Jewish Museum Berlin is being advertised all over Germany this summer.
More Travelogues (1)
- See All Straßen zum Leben
- See All Deutsches Theater
- See All Café Lisboa
Nemorino's Related Pages
Berlin Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "More than the capital of Germany"
- "Berlin, Berlin - wir fahren nach Berlin!"
- "Berlin in my way"
- "Wunderbar Berlin"
- "Berlin - the whole world in one town"
- "Berlin .... und das ist gut so!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Berlin
- Hotels in Berlin
- Transportation in Berlin
- Nightlife in Berlin
- Restaurants in Berlin
- Shopping in Berlin
- Warnings and Dangers in Berlin
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Berlin
- 47 Reviews
- 111 Photos
- 15 Forum posts
- 67 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (58)
Have you been to Berlin?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Berlin
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 352 reviews, 1452 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 96 reviews, 234 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 61 reviews, 222 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 49 reviews, 175 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marseille Intro, 45 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 56 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulon Intro, 42 reviews, 156 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 32 reviews, 150 photos, 6 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 44 reviews, 125 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zürich Intro, 43 reviews, 126 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (169)
Latest Berlin hotel reviews
- Nh Berlin-Mitte
- 298 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 15, 2013
- Comfort Hotel Fruehling Am Zoo
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 26, 2007
- Motel One Berlin-Alexanderplatz
- 174 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Hotel Augustinenhof
- 44 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 15, 2013
- A&O Hostel Und Hotel Friedrichshain Berlin
- 42 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 22, 2013
- Moevenpick Hotel Berlin
- 367 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 13, 2013
- 3 Little Pigs Hostel
- 153 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 17, 2013
- Ivbergs Premium
- 287 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 16, 2013
- Propeller Island City Lodge
- 58 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 26, 2013
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 16, 2013
- Suitehotel Berlin Potsd Platz
- 316 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 10, 2013
- Best Western Hotel Steglitz International
- 40 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- Citylight Hotel
- 53 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Park Hotel Blub Berlin
- 62 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 8, 2013
- Best Western President
- 157 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 14, 2013