"PARADISE LOST!" Top 5 Page for this destination Boracay Island Travelogue by sirenna
Boracay Island Travel Guide: 1,644 reviews and 4,799 photos
This is beautiful Punta Bunga beach, at the northern end of Boracay. The beach and surrounding tropical forest are home to a variety of endangered species, including rare birds, fruit bats and turtles.
The water is calm and clear, and it's a beautiful place to swim and snorkel.
Punta Bunga beach is lovely peaceful spot. Some of my favourite memories are of sitting on the shore & listening to the exotic birds calling in the forest, and exploring the little sand-filled cave - when the tide is high, you can swim in it.
At sunset, the fruit bats awake in the forest, and leave the trees in a huge cloud to fly to the mainland to feed.
Unfortunately, the Shangri La Hotel chain have been allowed to purchase this area, and are planning to build a vast hotel complex on it.
The entire forested hillside will be destroyed, along with two beaches.
Punta Bunga was top of my list of places to visit, but now Shangri La have installed guards armed with M16's to chase visitors away.
This area was classed as a marine reserve, but unfortunately the local authorities have chosen to ignore that fact. Boracay's most sensitive areas are being destroyed by the very people who are supposed to be protecting them. It's so sad.
This is neighbouring Panoly Beach. This beach is also earmarked for development. It's heartbreaking, but no-one here seems to care about protecting the environment.
Here is the Mayor of Boracay leading the Ati-Atihan parade on White Beach. As part of the festivities, he was carrying a spear with a dead fruit bat impaled on it.
When questioned about why he would support the killing of rare wildlife, he claimed he "didn't know". Right, OK...
This is the reality - in a few years, these beautiful creatures will have been wiped out. They are already endangered. We can't turn back the clock.
If the development of Boracay continues unchecked, all the forested areas and wildlife will be completely destroyed.
More Travelogues (2)
- See All Tasty Fish and Chips
- See All BORACAY Please, Not "Bora"!
- See All Spicy!
- See All Friendly Hotel, Great Rates
- See All Beach Erosion
- See All Take Nothing But Photos!
- See All Overcrowding
- See All Books in Boracay
- See All Destruction of the Forests
- See All Carabao
- See All Kayaking
- See All Sailing Boats
- Travelling light? - What you DON'T need...
Been to Boracay Island?Share your travels with the world!
sirenna's Related Pages
Boracay Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Island Life"
- "Mabuhay, Welcome to Boracay!"
- "Yielding To The Call Of The Islands"
- "Boracay Barefootin'"
- "Paradise in my backyard"
- "My longest VT meet"
- "Honeymoon in Boracay.."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Boracay Island
- Hotels in Boracay Island
- Transportation in Boracay Island
- Nightlife in Boracay Island
- Restaurants in Boracay Island
- Shopping in Boracay Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Boracay Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Boracay Island
- 157 Reviews
- 378 Photos
- 1,666 Forum posts
- 134 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Boracay Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Boracay Island
- Posted in Travel Boracay Island Forum "Re: Watersports in Boracay in July"
- Commented on the Boracay Island travel guide
- Commented on one of planxty's Boracay Island travel pages
- Wrote a Review Tasty Fish and Chips in Boracay Island Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Tasty Fish and Chips"
- updated a Boracay Island Travel Page "Island Life"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boracay Island Intro, 157 reviews, 402 photos, 3 travelogues
- Romblon Island Intro, 25 reviews, 30 photos
- Malay Intro, 12 reviews, 24 photos
- Manila Intro, 9 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kalibo Intro, 8 reviews, 20 photos
- Carabao Island Intro, 8 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Province of Romblon Intro, 1 review, 20 photos
- Rayleigh Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos
- Kilkenny Intro, 5 reviews, 9 photos
- Pandan Intro, 3 reviews, 11 photos