"60 th VE-DAY - before the parade" Top 5 Page for this destination Apeldoorn Travelogue by vtveen
Apeldoorn Travel Guide: 248 reviews and 1,031 photos
Already at 08.00 am there were lots of activities along the route of the parade. TV-camera's were placed, street sellers made their booths ready, barriers were put up.
At 09.00 am the first visitors showed up to get a good position. Lots of them with own chairs, because they had to wait at least five hours before the veterans turned up!!
These band from Apeldoorn was already playing at 11.30 am to entertain the waiting people.
Some of the visitors had their own radio, so there was music everywhere.
More and more people are coming and searching for good places to see the veterans. On the left a stand for the (Canadian) relatives and the Dutch hosts of the vet’s.
Around the 'Grote Kerk' were the most spectators, because just opposite these church was the official platform for our Princess Margriet (she was born in Ottawa), her husband mr. Pieter van Vollenhoven and for example the Canadian governor-general Mrs. Adrienne Clarkson.
This picture shows the Loolaan in the direction where the veterans were supposed to come from and they did later on.
The Loolaan leads to the Palace Het Loo, where the parade started.
No boredom along the route, while waiting. There were lots of street sellers with coffee and lemonade. And we did see the buses with the veterans arriving on their way to the Palace Het Loo.
These girls were selling special T-shirts on the occasion of the 60th anniversary of the liberation of the Netherlands and the parade in Apeldoorn.
The first raindrops were falling.
The sky was growing darker and darker. And suddenly we did get the first heavy showers; some of them even with hail !!
It was so wet and there were so many umbrella's.
We were still waiting for the first veterans and already wet. But nobody did leave his place.
We all were aware of the deprivations the veterans did suffer. And what are just a 'couple of raindrops' ?
After about two hours we were still waiting on our spot along the Loolaan.
Me with a Canadian flag around the shoulders and Hetty, my wife, with a kind of a fan in Canadian colours. We got this fan during the ceremonies for the 100th anniversary of Regina SK.
Just before the start of the parade some historical aircraft’s were flying over.
Among them Harvards, a Beechkraft and a Spitfire.
On the picture a ‘couple’ of the 200.000 spectators along the route.
More Travelogues (5)
- See All Beekbergerwoud – unique new nature
- See All Mariakerk - a national monument
- See All Raadhuisplein - pleasant sidewalk cafés
- See All Find your way in the town
- See All Royal Gifts from 'Het Loo'
vtveen's Related Pages
Apeldoorn Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Apeldoorn, my hometown"
- "Apeldoorn, my hometown"
- "Apeldoorn and het Loo"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Apeldoorn
- Hotels in Apeldoorn
- Transportation in Apeldoorn
- Nightlife in Apeldoorn
- Restaurants in Apeldoorn
- Shopping in Apeldoorn
- Warnings and Dangers in Apeldoorn
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Apeldoorn
- 67 Reviews
- 294 Photos
- 18 Forum posts
- 36 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (80)
Have you been to Apeldoorn?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Apeldoorn
- Posted in Travel Perth Forum "Re: First time heading to Perth..."
- updated a Apeldoorn Travel Page "Apeldoorn, my hometown"
- Commented on one of vtveen's Apeldoorn travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "CODA - nice mixture between 'old' and 'new'"
- Wrote a Review Beekbergerwoud – unique new nature in Apeldoorn Things to Do
Photos in ApeldoornSee All Photos (294)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands Intro, 99 reviews, 425 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Apeldoorn Intro, 67 reviews, 297 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 104 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Utah Intro, 65 reviews, 220 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 61 reviews, 204 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincia de Salta Intro, 44 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 43 reviews, 149 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 40 reviews, 151 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thailand Intro, 49 reviews, 133 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 43 reviews, 135 photos
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Latest Apeldoorn hotel reviews