"Fast Food Planet & other odd goals-alphabet tours" Personal Page by Buckz

Need A purpose

Initially we travel where we can, because we can. Then we travel smarter and the range of opportunities expands, and then you have to start making decisions. I find the decisions about the roads not taken horrible. Our last long trip was a three way decision - Viet Nam, Peru or India. We knew that whichever we chose it would be a decade or 2 before we would get to the others. I'm happy that we made the right call, and I am happy with the direction my life has taken since- even if it means we are confined to Europe for a few years. But it was difficult drawing a line through Viet Nam. I would love to see it as it is now, and not in 2025 after 20 years of Tourism has changed it.

Give how important these decisions are- maybe we need a strategy or a long term goal. All sovereign nations would be nice- if you a lot of time and cash. The concept of a hundred countries (do they call it a century?) again nice, but difficult. a country for every year of age is more realistic- and is both enduring and attainable. (my son was in 5 countries before age 1 that is hard to compete with.) But this is all a bit serious.

Hence my fast food planet.

A McDonalds for every letter of the alphabet.

Fast Food Planet

In Fast Food Nation the author lives on fast food for a month, to see what effect it had on him.
In 1993 I lived on Big Macs while inter railing- 2 big mac meals each day for a month. The main differences were a) I drank Black coffee with no sugar instead of full sugar drinks, and there was no such thing as super size or extra value meals.
I actually lost weight (not much though)- so maybe I could patent a form of atkins diet- Big mac, fries and coffee?
And then it crossed my mind to complete the alphabet of cities where I went to McDonalds.

Of course in this new era of anti Globalisation and healthy living, I must give up my crusade, but I still like to see the Golden Arches...

Amsterdam 93 Berlin 91 Cork 98 Dresden 93 Edinburgh 85
Freiburg 90 Geneva 93 Heidelburg 81 I Johannesburg 95
Koln 93 Luxembourg 93 Manchester 80s New York 06 Oslo 93
Prague 93 Queenstown 06 Reykjavik 00 Salzburg 91 Trondheim 93
U Venice 01 Wein 91 Xian 04 Y
Zurich 90
The tricky ones were J, R, Q, & X.
Places beginning with J are rare enough. and while India has a few (!aipur, Jodphur etc) I was in Jaipur, but don't recall seeing a McDs.
Rs are more common, but up to 2000 I hadn't been in ant of them.
The McDonald's in Queenstown is in a decidedly dull shopping centre Foodcourt, I went purely to clock up another letter.
As for X, Xian was a win. opportunities like that are rare.

Of the gaps, I have been to Innsbruck, Ulm and York, but didn't visit McDs there. If I changed the list to Places where I have taken Photos- The only change is replacing Heidelburg with Hong Kong.

• Page Updated Aug 23, 2009

Comments

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!

Buckz

“By Endurance we Conquer”

Real Name