"Fast Food Planet & other odd goals-alphabet tours" Personal Page by Buckz
Initially we travel where we can, because we can. Then we travel smarter and the range of opportunities expands, and then you have to start making decisions. I find the decisions about the roads not taken horrible. Our last long trip was a three way decision - Viet Nam, Peru or India. We knew that whichever we chose it would be a decade or 2 before we would get to the others. I'm happy that we made the right call, and I am happy with the direction my life has taken since- even if it means we are confined to Europe for a few years. But it was difficult drawing a line through Viet Nam. I would love to see it as it is now, and not in 2025 after 20 years of Tourism has changed it.
Give how important these decisions are- maybe we need a strategy or a long term goal. All sovereign nations would be nice- if you a lot of time and cash. The concept of a hundred countries (do they call it a century?) again nice, but difficult. a country for every year of age is more realistic- and is both enduring and attainable. (my son was in 5 countries before age 1 that is hard to compete with.) But this is all a bit serious.
Hence my fast food planet.
A McDonalds for every letter of the alphabet.
In Fast Food Nation the author lives on fast food for a month, to see what effect it had on him.
In 1993 I lived on Big Macs while inter railing- 2 big mac meals each day for a month. The main differences were a) I drank Black coffee with no sugar instead of full sugar drinks, and there was no such thing as super size or extra value meals.
I actually lost weight (not much though)- so maybe I could patent a form of atkins diet- Big mac, fries and coffee?
And then it crossed my mind to complete the alphabet of cities where I went to McDonalds.
Of course in this new era of anti Globalisation and healthy living, I must give up my crusade, but I still like to see the Golden Arches...
Amsterdam 93 Berlin 91 Cork 98 Dresden 93 Edinburgh 85
Freiburg 90 Geneva 93 Heidelburg 81 I Johannesburg 95
Koln 93 Luxembourg 93 Manchester 80s New York 06 Oslo 93
Prague 93 Queenstown 06 Reykjavik 00 Salzburg 91 Trondheim 93
U Venice 01 Wein 91 Xian 04 Y
The tricky ones were J, R, Q, & X.
Places beginning with J are rare enough. and while India has a few (!aipur, Jodphur etc) I was in Jaipur, but don't recall seeing a McDs.
Rs are more common, but up to 2000 I hadn't been in ant of them.
The McDonald's in Queenstown is in a decidedly dull shopping centre Foodcourt, I went purely to clock up another letter.
As for X, Xian was a win. opportunities like that are rare.
Of the gaps, I have been to Innsbruck, Ulm and York, but didn't visit McDs there. If I changed the list to Places where I have taken Photos- The only change is replacing Heidelburg with Hong Kong.
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 166 Reviews
- 185 Photos
- 22 Countries
- 16 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
- Posted in Travel Europe Forum "Re: Where to go?"
- Commented on Voyageuse30's profile page
- Uploaded a Photo to "Varanasi with respect"
- Buckz and canadiantravelgirl are now friends.
- created a County Kerry Travel Page "Kerry, the Kingdom that doesn't need a king."
- Wrote a Review Not a clubbing town in Marrakesh Nightlife
updated their Profile Page "We are the Lucky Ones."
Top 10 Pages
- Dublin Intro, 25 reviews, 20 photos
- Ireland Intro, 15 reviews, 17 photos
- Kenya Intro, 15 reviews, 10 photos
- France Intro, 11 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Arinsal Intro, 11 reviews, 9 photos
- Egypt Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos
- Venice Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos
- Brussels Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Reykjavík Region Intro, 7 reviews, 8 photos
- Rome Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22500 Reviews - 55076 Photos
- Fort Lauderdale Hotels
- 659 Reviews - 1389 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2702 Reviews - 7927 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23331 Reviews - 48936 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2029 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15645 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3100 Reviews - 5884 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 781 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2059 Reviews - 3877 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10316 Reviews - 22906 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12024 Reviews - 26769 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7829 Reviews - 20234 Photos