"April 2005 Gatlinburg / NC - the Biltmore Estate" Personal Page by JudiandBill
On April 21, we struck out on the road from Columbus to Gatlinburg, TN to a beautiful cabin we rented with another couple. This is the same trip Bill took last year, without me, but I was SO glad I was able to go this year. The view from our deck was breathtaking, and combine that with the fellowship of friends, and it was a trip of a lifetime!
Just below our cabin we found this small but beautiful waterfall. Bill and I took a scenic tour just outside of Gatlinburg, along one of the many turn offs you see along the highway. The second picture was taken at the Ramsey Cascades. He promised I wouldn't be getting out of the car, thus I am in high heel sandles, and shorts! Note to self - always leave my tennis shoes in the van.. just in case!
The cabin was through the Great American Getaways. This cabin was perfect for two couples. Identical bedrooms on either side of a large living area with a pool table. Each room had a queen sized bed, and fireplace and large jacuzzi tub. It was your basic honeymoon suite!
When we arrived in Gatlinburg on Thursday, the temps were in the 70s, sunny and beautiful. By the next morning it was raining. It stops and starts, but that night we had one BIG thunderstorm, complete with the loss of electricity. Saturday Bill and I headed for NC to the Biltmore, and went over the mountain. On top, we experienced snow. And the next morning, back in Gatlinburg, we awoke to a couple of inches of snow. Word to the wise - take all different kinds of clothes!
Jeannie lives in Tennesse, and gets to enjoy the beauty of the Smokies all the time. But she certainly enjoyed the hottub. This trip was very nice in that the boys did all the food shopping and cooking. We loved being ladies of leisure!
Since we were close, Bill and I decided to make a day trip over the mountains from Gatlinburg, to Asheville, NC to see the Biltmore Estate. Home of George Vanderbilt. Still thought by some to be the largest single family home in the United States. Although the admission price seemed outrageous - $40 a head, Bill and I agreed by the end of the day it was more than worth it.
Bill has always had a fascination with Gargoyles, and when I learned there was a tour of the rooftop of the Biltmore where you could actually reach out and touch them, I surprised Bill with that added trip. It is $14 more a person, and we nearly froze our butts off, but WOW it was a shared memory that we both will cherish.
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 20 Reviews
- 74 Photos
- 2 Countries
- 6 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
- JudiandBill and Stephen-KarenConn are now friends.
- updated a Tulsa Travel Page "Judi's Hometown"
- Wrote a Review Don't DO the 2 hour tour! about Hassels in Las Vegas Tourist Traps
- Uploaded a Photo to "Ride the Deuce Bus!"
- Posted in Travel Las Vegas Forum "RE: Taxis"
- Commented on JOHNNY_ENGLISH's profile page
updated their Personal Page "Saint Louis, Missouri September 2005"
Top 5 Pages
- Las Vegas Intro, 7 reviews, 16 photos
- Cleveland Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tulsa Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos, 1 travelogue
- Windsor Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
- Saint Louis Intro, 1 review, 5 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (1)
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
- Paris Hotels
- 22198 Reviews - 54001 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15557 Reviews - 30993 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3082 Reviews - 5778 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23037 Reviews - 47268 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 319 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 11941 Reviews - 26475 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 1912 Reviews - 4527 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1930 Reviews - 3719 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8369 Reviews - 17097 Photos
- Toronto Hotels
- 4277 Reviews - 8800 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 325 Reviews - 885 Photos
- Panama City Beach Hotels
- 193 Reviews - 288 Photos
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3341 Reviews - 7500 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7700 Reviews - 19770 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2421 Reviews - 6530 Photos