"Biking the Baehnle-Tour" Top 5 Page for this destination Kempten Travelogue by gubbi1
Kempten Travel Guide: 68 reviews and 251 photos
Between Kempten and Isny there has been a railway track for about 75 years. As in many places these very local tracks have been stopped (this one in 1982) and the rails taken away. Afterwards the old traintrack has been rebuilt as a bikepath on which this travelogues tour takes place. The trip goes from Kempten towards the Eschacher Weiher, passing the Blender with its tower then further until the track reaches the highway between Kempten and Isny. There we have to use the tunnel to get to the other side, after a short slope (300 meters) we turn left and follow the street back towards the Illervalley. Now biking to Waltenhofen and continueing to Hegge, we can cross the Iller to get back to the town of Kempten.
The whole tour has a length of about 40 kilometers with a difference in altitude of about 250 meters. It is continuesly leading up the hill. Just to get back to the Illervalley it goes downhill.
At several places there is a nice view towards the high mountains in the south, which had still snow at a height of 1600 meters the time I was biking the tour (last of April).
On the picture you can see the Eschacher Weiher (little lake) with the Blender in the background. The bike path makes a big loop here around the lake and you can see back to this place two kilometers later.
Looking back to the place where I took the first photo. You can see the Eschacher Weiher again.
This is the Blender, with the tower on top of it.
The first possible view towards the south.
At this point we cross the line which decides if the rain is flowing into the Rhine and therefore into the North Sea or into the Danube (Donau) and by this into the Black Sea. It is a big decision the water has to take...
You see, we are 937,9 meters above sea level.
Finally on top, now we almost only will have to go downhill.
Looking south at the snow covered mountains around Oberstdorf.
Back in the valley with another view on the mountains before we start the last kilometers back to downtown Kempten.
gubbi1's Related Pages
Kempten Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to my hometown"
- "VT meeting in Kempten"
- "Euromeet 2012 Premeet in Kempten"
- "Kempten in Bavaria"
- "Bonio's visit to Kempten"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kempten
- Hotels in Kempten
- Transportation in Kempten
- Restaurants in Kempten
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kempten
- 17 Reviews
- 64 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (56)
Have you been to Kempten?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kempten
Photos in KemptenSee All Photos (64)
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 40 reviews, 231 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oulu Intro, 55 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lillehammer Intro, 8 reviews, 164 photos, 17 travelogues
- Nazareth Intro, 16 reviews, 124 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akko Intro, 11 reviews, 122 photos, 10 travelogues
- Évora Intro, 13 reviews, 116 photos, 9 travelogues
- Røros Intro, 10 reviews, 107 photos, 9 travelogues
- Bet Guvrin Intro, 18 reviews, 89 photos
- Bet She`arim Intro, 11 reviews, 90 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tomar Intro, 12 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues