"FOOD - glutzin - RECIPES - links - BLOGS" Personal Page by kenHuocj
from Lil Portugal in Ossington St, Toronto - cafe venezia with the strong black cafe and bite size egg tarts ala belem - yums
Pasteis de Belem since 1837
for me since i first visited Lourenco Marques in the late 40s
Scala, Continental and Tivoli were the favoured cafes
anybody have the recipe from Belem ?
Memory lane back to Scala or Continental in Lourenco Marques - so long ago ;-)))
Cape Brandy Pudding Lekkah !
* 5 ml (1 tsp) bicarbonate of soda
* 250 g dates, stoned and finely chopped
* 250 ml boiling water
* 125 g(1/2cup) butter
* 500 ml (2 cups) sugar
* 2 eggs, beaten
* 500 ml (2 cups) cake flour
* 5 ml (1 tsp) baking powder
* 2 ml (½ tsp) salt
* 250 ml (1 cup) finely chopped walnuts or
* pecan nuts
* 15 ml (3 tsp) butter or margarine
* 150 ml water
* 125 ml brandy
* 5 ml (1 tsp) vanilla essence
* 1 ml (¼ tsp) salt
1. Add bicarbonate of soda to 125 g dates and pour boiling water over. Mix well and leave to cool.
2. Cream 125 g butter and 250 ml (1 cup) sugar and beat in eggs. Mix well.
3. Sift flour, baking powder and 2 ml (½ tsp) salt over creamed mixture and fold in.
4. Add remaining dates and nuts, mixing well.
5. Stir in date mixture. Mix thoroughly, then turn batter into a large baking dish and bake at 180 degrees Celsius until done, about 40 minutes.
6. Heat remaining butter, sugar, and water for 5 minutes.
7. Remove from stove and stir in brandy, vanilla essence and salt.
8. Pour over pudding as soon as it is done. Serve hot or cold with whipped cream. May also be served topped with Amarula cream liqueuer. Or serve with Almond Ice Cream and Strawberries, as shown in the photo.
tested and slightly varied depending on moods,
always yummy and decadent ;-)))
here is obe i get in my mailbox,
they are all tempting, few are original
other than the personal flair of passion and gut feel.
Nicholas Zhou has a varied list from all regions of China
for side dishes that go well with the wors and nyama braai or biltong too
Staple food for Africa
best cooked is a 3 legged cast iron pot
and there must be a bit of burnt crust for the smokey flavours
enjoying a 6 course meal last month,
Seafood medley with mango,
Guhy Choy with dired Shrimps
Dow Foo Fah [ tofu almond dessert ]
at C$11 pp XAM YU
Once freely available, now very much overexploited by the many Asian gourmets worldwide - resulting in possible extiction in many production areas.
aka Perlemoen in South Africa;
Japanese Dried Abalone are the BEST,
Chile also produces a fine product;
SADLY, Modern Man - especially the Chinese
ARE RESPONSIBLE for dwindling stocks worldwide
known elsewhere as BBQ.
always an excuse to overindulge,
the smokey flavours of the charring meat
cape red wines or a lion or castle beer
good company outdoors under the stars
for recipes from Pete's funky monkey
More Personal Pages (9)
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 569 Reviews
- 1,533 Photos
- 32 Countries
- 46 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
- Commented on one of balhannah's Osoyoos tips
- Posted in Travel Glasgow Forum "Re: trip to Japan "
- Wrote a Review More than PHO in Ottawa Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "More than PHO"
- kenHuocj and Jeanling are now friends.
- created a Windsor Travel Page "i did visit Windsor Ontario Twice"
updated their Profile Page "Travel is a few steps out of the front door"
- Commented on the Bukit Mertajam travel guide
- Uploaded a Video to Ottawa
PhotosSee All Photos (1533)
Top 10 Pages
- Ottawa Intro, 46 reviews, 121 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cape Town Intro, 33 reviews, 82 photos, 6 travelogues
- Pretoria Intro, 37 reviews, 76 photos, 6 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 30 reviews, 66 photos, 3 travelogues
- South Africa Intro, 19 reviews, 60 photos, 7 travelogues
- Johannesburg Intro, 18 reviews, 59 photos, 6 travelogues
- Canada Intro, 8 reviews, 67 photos, 5 travelogues
- Orleans Intro, 19 reviews, 56 photos
- Cederberg Intro, 10 reviews, 48 photos, 1 travelogue
- Africa Intro, 13 reviews, 43 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Hotels
- 22161 Reviews - 53866 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3079 Reviews - 5774 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15523 Reviews - 30893 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23058 Reviews - 47256 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 11941 Reviews - 26470 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1927 Reviews - 3713 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 319 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8346 Reviews - 17013 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 1908 Reviews - 4459 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 325 Reviews - 885 Photos
- Toronto Hotels
- 4278 Reviews - 8803 Photos
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3341 Reviews - 7498 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2036 Reviews - 3787 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7630 Reviews - 19467 Photos
- Panama City Beach Hotels
- 193 Reviews - 288 Photos