"NAS New Iberia 44 Years Later" Top 5 Page for this destination New Iberia Travelogue by grandmaR
New Iberia Travel Guide: 59 reviews and 169 photos
We came to New Iberia in June of 1960 because Bob was stationed here to do the last part of his pilot training with the US Navy for the S2F anti-submarine airplane. He was based at the air station in New Iberia from June to November.
The base was closed soon after we left, and we wanted to see whether the airport (such as it is) in New Iberia was the old NAS field.
Apparently it was a pork-barrel project for New Iberia. Neither the Navy, nor the sugarcane farmers who were displaced really wanted to have a base there. Bob said that three of the four parallel runways that were built just sank into the swamp.
Bob remembered the runway as being in a different direction from what it was on the map, but we started out down Admiral Doyle Drive. We saw the airport in the distance.
Because the hanger was such a large building, it really stood out.
Next we drove alongside the tower (elevation 24 feet).
The front of the building next to the tower is still labeled "Operations"
Bob remembered this building as a classroom building, and it is now being used as a technical school.
This was another of the leftover buildings. That and Admiral Doyle Drive are about the only things that remain from that era.
grandmaR's Related Pages
New Iberia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Queen City of the Bayou - Mansions, and Sugar"
- "New Iberia, LA"
- "Basaic New Iberia Page"
- "New Iberia"
- "larsy's new New Iberia Page/Avery Island page"
- "Welcome to my New Iberia page."
- "SeaBreezeUSA's new New Iberia page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New Iberia
- Hotels in New Iberia
- Nightlife in New Iberia
- Restaurants in New Iberia
- Shopping in New Iberia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in New Iberia
- 22 Reviews
- 90 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (187)
Have you been to New Iberia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New Iberia
Photos in New IberiaSee All Photos (90)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 728 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 75 reviews, 341 photos, 11 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 51 reviews, 293 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues