"Living History Museum 15 Miles Northeast of Indie" Top 5 Page for this destination Indianapolis Travelogue by deecat
Indianapolis Travel Guide: 535 reviews and 898 photos
This beautiful covered bridge is one of the newest additions to Connor Prairie, a Living Museum located in Fishers, Indiana, which is 15 miles northeast of Indianapolis. It is one of central Indiana's most visited spots. We were told that every 4th grader in the state of Indiana is brought to Connor Prairie as part of the school curriculum.
This covered bridge is part of the rural crossroads site which includes the bridge, a Quaker meeting house, and the district school.
This photo shows what 1836 Prairietown looks like with garbed docents showing visitors what life was like then. It is so realistic; the docents really stay in character.
The photo shows Jill entering the original Conner Family home which is a stately 1823 Federal style home and one of the first brick houses in the regions. Today it can be toured and stands as a museum.
Please click to see the "bumb out" on the far left side.
The "bumb out" in the photo is located at the kitchen area where the large fireplace used for cooking is on the inside.
After viewing the Connor Family Home, we went to the back area and visited the Blacksmith's apprentice (the Blacksmith was away on business). This young man was making a hook for hanging pots. We watched him work and talked as though this were all taking place in 1836.
Once we crossed the covered bridge, we traveled forward in time to 1886 and were in Liberty Corner, a rural Indiana community.
We dropped by the Zimmerman Farm and home. The women of the home were eating (they are the last to eat), and we enjoyed this lovely farm house and farm.
We saw unique types of chickens, sheep, cows, and pigs. We even petted the pig! The docents actually do the work on the farm, and the animals are bred for food.
Once you walk through the woods beside the White River, you go back to 1816 and step into the Lenape Indiana Camp. We went inside this Indian home, and I thought that it was quite adequate. We also talked to the fur trader and played musical instruments to accompany the Indian beating his special drum. We watched as small children traded animal pelts for goods in the general store.
One of the most beautiful places at Connor Prairie was the path we walked to reach the 1816 Lenape Indian Camp.
This is a PANORAMIC photo so please click
More Travelogues (4)
Written Apr 14, 2005
Rejuvenating a City, One Neighborhood At a Time
Written Apr 12, 2005
Crown Hill Cemetery, Indianapolis, Indiana
Written Apr 15, 2005
Historic Treasure of Indianapolis and Indiana
Written Apr 13, 2005
"Masonic Symbolism in Wood and Stone"
- See All By Serendipity, We Discovered...
- See All Jill's Great-great-great grandfather's...
- See All Candy, Coffee, Tea, Italian Soda....YUM
- See All We Regret Not Seeing.....
deecat's Related Pages
Indianapolis Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "INDIANAPOLIS: Artist, Athlete, Historian, Patiot"
- "The Circle City"
- "indianapolis, in"
- "Fast, yet Friendly City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Indianapolis
- Hotels in Indianapolis
- Transportation in Indianapolis
- Nightlife in Indianapolis
- Restaurants in Indianapolis
- Shopping in Indianapolis
- Warnings and Dangers in Indianapolis
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Indianapolis
- 52 Reviews
- 89 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 43 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Indianapolis?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Indianapolis
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: "Game of Thrones"..."
- Commented on one of rmdw's Indianapolis travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Athenaeum"
- updated a Indianapolis Travelogue "Living History Museum 15 Miles Northeast of Indie"
- Wrote a Review By Serendipity, We Discovered... in Indianapolis Shopping
Photos in IndianapolisSee All Photos (89)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 223 reviews, 581 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 82 reviews, 223 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Intro, 50 reviews, 208 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 112 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta Intro, 53 reviews, 191 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 98 reviews, 142 photos, 1 travelogue
- Robinson Intro, 42 reviews, 176 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iowa Intro, 46 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tuscany Intro, 49 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galena Intro, 39 reviews, 112 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (90)
Latest Indianapolis hotel reviews
- Indianapolis - Days Inn Downtown
- 129 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station)
- 372 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 18, 2013
- Residence Inn Indianapolis North
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 15, 2012
- Jameson Inn Indianapolis South
- 107 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Jameson Inn Indianapolis-Carmel
- 65 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 15, 2013
- Sheraton Indianapolis Hotel and Suites
- 288 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Canterbury Hotel
- 152 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 23, 2013
- Yellow Rose Inn
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Park Place at City Centre
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 18, 2013
- Sybaris Clubs International
- 97 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- Jameson Inn of Indy Castleton
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 9, 2013
- Dollar Inn - Indianapolis
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 12, 2013
- Super 8 Indianapolis/Emerson
- 32 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 16, 2013
- Country Inn & Suites Indianapolis NE at I-69
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 3, 2007
- Methodist Tower Inn
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 2, 2013