"Our oad Trip from SF to Utah (Yes, Utah?#$%!&*)" Personal Page by stappm
We started our road trip in San Francisco heading for Salt Lake City, Utah to visit some friends that had just moved there. Our trip took us down the "Loneliest Road" in the US, Hwy 80. You can drive for 3-4 hours at 80 mph and not come across a town or dwelling..... You do cross the Pony Express Trail of the great Ole' West ........ in the middle of no where.....
Austin, Neveda - Who new there was one outside of Texas ("teh'hhaas" to you gringo)? ONe old Gold mining town snuggled into the mountain side somewhere in the middle right of the state of Neveda....
Are we there yet? Note: DOG in front seat - leather interior and head on Burberry bag.... ummm yes SPOILED!
Out in the vastness of Neveda, just on the east side of the Sierras, among the mountains of boulders, trees and plain ole' dirt is a mountain of sand. It's become a play ground of motorcyclists and dune buggy enthusiasts. Apparently due to the wind it moves to the right and back to the left.... not very far but it moves?!#$%&! At leasat that's what the guy in the VW bus told us.....
Just outside of this sleepy town of Eureka, Neveda we stopped to check out some ancient hyroglyphics - it's believed that ancient native's drew them however they predate Native Americans and not much is known of thier origin. This is the place our trusty Excursion decides to drop it's transmission (aka broken, hike to top of hill for cell signal). The nearest tow truck had to drive 70 miles to come get us and take us to the nearest Ford dealership (70 miles back).
Anyway, in the meantime the Sheriff (from a closer town) came out to get us - big hat and all, brought us into his town, minus the truck, and took us on a little tour before buying us ice cream cones (I swear) at the local fountain shop where we waited for our lovely tow (4 people, 1 dog, 2 seater big ole tow truck, max speed 45 mph for approx 3 hours (70 miles). OOOOO YES! And this is where the FUN begins! Andy Griffith lives!
slightly delayed and downsized to a rental toyota.... LOL.... all our stuff and the dog (realizing there is a reason to pack light even if you think you have a ton of room)...... off again, we'll pick up the truck with it's new transmission on the way back....
This is where we stayed a few days before heading down to Bryce Canyon and Zion (the places, for me, worth driving to Utah to see). It was August so you can see the slopes in the background that were built for the Olympics. During the summermonths they change the luge to a sled (on wheels) that's a lot slower but fun!
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 146 Reviews
- 240 Photos
- 15 Countries
- 25 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
- Commented on 8thWonderFijiTrip's profile page
- stappm and atufft are now friends.
updated their Profile Page "allo-Ciao-SaWaDiKa-Marhaba-Konichiwa-Nihao-Aloha"
- Uploaded a Photo to "allo-Ciao-SaWaDiKa-Marhaba-Konichiwa-Nihao-Aloha"
- Posted in Travel Bodrum Forum "Re: Club Dedeman Bodrum"
- created a Ban Patong Travel Page "I could live here forever"
- Wrote a Review Roof Top View about Oia Village in Santorini Island Restaurants
Top 10 Pages
- Phuket Intro, 15 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bangkok Intro, 18 reviews, 22 photos
- Beirut Intro, 14 reviews, 20 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake Havasu City Intro, 11 reviews, 22 photos
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos
- Petra Intro, 7 reviews, 14 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 9 reviews, 8 photos
- Singapore Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos
- Venice Intro, 4 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jbail Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22161 Reviews - 53866 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3079 Reviews - 5774 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15523 Reviews - 30893 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23058 Reviews - 47256 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 11941 Reviews - 26470 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1927 Reviews - 3713 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 319 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8346 Reviews - 17013 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 1908 Reviews - 4459 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 325 Reviews - 885 Photos
- Toronto Hotels
- 4278 Reviews - 8803 Photos
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3341 Reviews - 7498 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2036 Reviews - 3787 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7630 Reviews - 19467 Photos
- Panama City Beach Hotels
- 193 Reviews - 288 Photos