"AQWA - Shark Dive" Perth Travelogue by ratherton
Perth Travel Guide: 2,288 reviews and 4,816 photos
Sharks and rays aren’t the only creatures in the main tank at AQWA. There are a number of ‘regular’ fish such as this very big cod.
Divers in the tank. This wasn’t so much of a dive, more of a crawl along the bottom. We were required to stay negatively buoyant and stay on the bottom so as not to disturb the sharks too much. Even though it was only an aquarium some of the fish were still very territorial.
There is a walkway underneath the shark tank where you can watch the sharks and stay dry. This is the view the sharks have of us humans.
During their lives, sharks will have about 30,000 teeth. They are constantly shedding teeth and new ones grow in their place. This means their teeth are always sharp and ready for the kill. During the dive in the aquarium and if you look carefully, you’ll be able to find some discarded sharks teeth on the floor. This tooth is from one of the Whalers. It has the classic shark ‘V’ shape with serrated edges for cutting it’s prey. Rag-tooth sharks’ teeth are more like daggers. They use them to spear their prey which they swallow whole.
Rag Tooth Sharks (raggies) are known as Nurse Sharks in Australia and Sand Tigers in USA. Whatever they are called, they certainly aren’t has fearsome as they look. Off the shores of WA, they are estimated to only be a few hundred left as they were hunted as man-eaters. The truth is, their fierce looking teeth are only used to grip their prey which they swallow whole. This means they only feed on food that will fit in their mouths and this doesn’t include humans. There are 6 ‘raggies’ at AQWA, the largest being a female which is 3.4m long.
A couple of whaler sharks were also in the tank swimming around. Their most prominent feature is the high dorsal fin
- Dog in a Ute
- See All AQWA - Aquarium of Western Australia
- London Court
- Dolphin Scuba Diving
ratherton's Related Pages
Perth Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Perth - Western Australia"
- "Perth - Home of Lovely Beaches & Awesome Sunsets"
- "Here in Western Australia-Perth"
- "My Home - PERTH"
- "Perth...A Home Away From Home"
- "Perth's Newest Hotel , Holiday Inn Burswood"
- "The city on the Swan"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Perth
- Hotels in Perth
- Transportation in Perth
- Nightlife in Perth
- Restaurants in Perth
- Shopping in Perth
- Warnings and Dangers in Perth
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Perth
- 13 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Perth?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Perth
Top 10 Pages
- Moscow Intro, 36 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Sharm El Sheikh Intro, 23 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlskrona Intro, 15 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 21 reviews, 19 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ipswich Intro, 16 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Stockholm Intro, 9 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues
- Perth Intro, 13 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lisbon Intro, 5 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ayia Napa Intro, 10 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (1)
Latest Perth hotel reviews
- Townsend Lodge
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 18, 2013
- The Richardson Hotel Suites And Spa
- 307 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- North Lodge Backpackers/Perth City Appartments
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- Seashells Serviced Apartments Perth
- 117 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 19, 2013
- Mountway Holiday Apartments
- 175 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Coolibah Lodge Backpackers
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 30, 2013
- The New Esplanade Hotel
- 161 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 12, 2013
- Witch's Hat Backpackers Hostel
- 64 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 23, 2013
- Comfort Hotel Perth City
- 177 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013
- Lonestar City Backpackers
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 22, 2007
- Perth City YHA Hostel
- 109 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Dongara Backpackers "Breeze Inn"
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 15, 2013
- Seasons Of Perth
- 116 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- The Old Swan Barracks
- 53 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013