"Sailing trip 2004 with Blgg colleagues (part II)" Woudsend Travelogue by Pavlik_NL
Woudsend Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 33 photos
The names of a sailing ship's parts makes a first timer truely dazzle. All ropes, lines, sails, parts of the mast and other pieces of the ship, have ther own specific name. Sometimes it indeed seems that our captain is speaking a complete unknown language to us, but hey ... maybe it's Frisian!
Then the great moment of lifting the sails one by one. We are in luck, as the wind is very weak and we can totally relax in this work. We can only imagine what it is like to do this with more wind or even storm. However, when all sails are up and the motor is shut down, we start believing that the present wind is to little to make us sail at all.
Though the circumstances are easy, we come to the conclusion that putting up the sails is quite strenuous work. Especially when one finds out thet some ropes are entangled or winding the wrong way. Then everything has to go down again to start anew again.
and when the main sail is up we notice that it catches some wind and we realy start to sail on the (now weak) power of the wind.
Two Dutch nicknames of ships mates.
When preparing the fok sail we find out that some ropes are realy entangled way up in the bow spreet. Therefore fearless Jan is climbing immediately into the net to get the problem solved.
"Overstag gaan" is the activity on a sailing ship when the wind is changed from going on one side into the sails towards the other. This also means that the "giek" (the large horizontal mast that holds the sail at it's bottom side) swings over the ship. Ducking is then - especially with strong winds - quite recommended.
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Woudsend Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sailing over the Frisian lakes in a "Skutsje""
- "Woudsend, or Wâldsein in Frysian language ..."
- See All...
Explore the World
- Key West Hotels
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- Laoag City Hotels
- Munnar Hotels
- Coron Hotels
- Islamabad Hotels
- Ho Chi Minh City Hotels
- Bacolod City
- Saskatoon Hotels
- Boon Lay Hotels
- Cheras Hotels
- Adyar Hotels
- Laoag City
- State of Jammu and Kashmir Hotels
- Beijing Hotels
- La Spezia
- Prague Hotels
- Puerto Rico
- Bradford Hotels
Badges & Stats in Woudsend
- 8 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to Woudsend?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Woudsend
Photos in WoudsendSee All Photos (30)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues