"Nature trips around Augusta, Ga." Personal Page by no1birdlady
Our local Audubon Society is interested in looking for insects as well as birds and mammals. We spotted this beautiful Red-headed Grasshopper on one of our walks in Phinizy Swamp Nature Park. We also have field trips which study and identify dragon flies and do a butterfly count each summer which is submitted to the North American Butterfly Association. The complexity of nature is inspiring.
This photo of small warblers called Common Yellowthroats was taken by a friend on one of our field trips near the levee. Most of our trips primarily look for birds. This was taken in the spring when migrant birds are coming north from spending their winter in warmer climates. These birds who winter in Central or South America or on Caribbean Islands and then come back to North America to breed are called Neo-tropical migrants. One thing we love to do in the spring is to go out and look for these birds as they migrant through our area during the months of April and May. Many go on north to breed but some stay in Georgia to breed such as these Common Yellowthroats. These are both males in this photo. They have "singing competitions" to see who can attract the female.
This photo of a River Otter was taken by a friend on one of our field trips to Phinizy Swamp Nature Park. This is an area of river swamp which has had constructed wetlands created to filter the waste water for the city of Augusta. The constructed wetlands are very attractive to wildlife and the dikes around the ponds provide excellent paths to walk in search of birds, wildlife, insects, or just for exercise. We had walked out along one of the ponds and spotted this otter up on the bank cleaning his fur in the early morning sun. They are wonderful animals to watch. We have often seen them playing in ponds and there are mud slides on the sides of ponds where they slide into the water just like little kids. In addition to otters, the area has coyotes, bobcats, mink, beavers, rabbits, raccoons, possums and squirrels. It's interesting to look at the muddy edges of a pond to see all of the tracks and try to figure out just who walked here last night or early this morning. The staff of the nature park holds moonlight and dawn walks which are excellent for seeing or hearing the wildlife here. There are also alligators in the ponds and they are often seen sunning up on the sides of the ponds or on the dikes.
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 547 Reviews
- 681 Photos
- 17 Countries
- 23 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
- no1birdlady and 807Wheaton are now friends.
- Wrote a Review Stay among Nature. in Tortuguero Hotels
- created a Tortuguero Travel Page "Tortuguero"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Tour canals with a wildlife guide"
- Commented on one of 807Wheaton's Xi'an travel pages
updated their Personal Page "Nature trips around Augusta, Ga."
PhotosSee All Photos (681)
Top 10 Pages
- England Intro, 49 reviews, 52 photos
- France Intro, 43 reviews, 57 photos
- Italy Intro, 34 reviews, 36 photos
- Puerto Rico Intro, 33 reviews, 32 photos
- Kenya Intro, 30 reviews, 33 photos
- Rome Intro, 30 reviews, 31 photos
- Panama Intro, 17 reviews, 34 photos
- Paris Intro, 23 reviews, 27 photos
- Texas Intro, 17 reviews, 30 photos
- Costa Rica Intro, 21 reviews, 26 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (1)
- Paris Hotels
- 22200 Reviews - 54008 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15557 Reviews - 30993 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3082 Reviews - 5778 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23039 Reviews - 47275 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 319 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 11942 Reviews - 26476 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 1912 Reviews - 4527 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1930 Reviews - 3719 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8369 Reviews - 17097 Photos
- Toronto Hotels
- 4277 Reviews - 8800 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 325 Reviews - 885 Photos
- Panama City Beach Hotels
- 193 Reviews - 288 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7699 Reviews - 19779 Photos
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3342 Reviews - 7500 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2421 Reviews - 6530 Photos