"My Jewelry in Michigan's Nature" Personal Page by janetanne
A common pass time of Michiganders, is arts and crafts. At Houghton Lake, there is a very large store called 'Arnies' that sells anything that you might need for making arts and crafts.
This is one of the bracelets I made from antique buttons I found in an very nice antique store in Westbranch, Mi. The beads and wire were from Arnies.
I find making such creations to be very calming and helps me to relax when I am visiting my parents or just a nice diversion from the usual T.V. addiction that most people suffer from these days!
Michigan is full of grape vines and the Michigan grape growers make wonderful wine. My earrings that I made look pretty good amongst the green grapes, don't you think?
When I first started making these wire bracelets, I thought it would be a nice idea to crochet the buttons and beads together. The old fence they are photographed on, is a typical split-rail fence seen in and around Michigan.
As the fence ages, it becomes covered with moss and lichen which adds to its colorfulness.
Concord Grapes grow on this aging vine in our backyard in Michigan. My father makes his famous wine from some of these grapes and my mother makes grape jelly!
I make the earrings and crocheted wire and antique button bracelets.
Man does not live on bread and wine along. We all need Art in our lives too.
Food for thought......
Michigan winters are long; very, very long and cold! Many people, who are still able to supply the physical energy, can save energy by heating their houses by wood. We have both a gas heated furnace and a wood burning stove in the basement of our house. Both of my parents are getting too old to carry the heavy wood down the stairs, let alone go out to the woods and chop it...so, this stack of wood is likely to stand only as a reminder of days gone by!
There are so many wild and different birds in Michigan. All the lakes and forest are perfect refuse for the wild community of feathered friends. We have at least 25 birdhouses in and around our yard for the wrens. Mostly, the sparrows have taken up household in these convenient abodes. Nevertheless, we have a healthy community of Bluejays, Hummingbirds, Oriels and wild Finches.
Have you ever wondered why the human being has such a need to 'adorn' and decorate their bodies?
I remember one of the most impressive museum displays I have ever seen, was the collection of Greek jewelry found in the tomb of Prince Phillip, father of Alexander the Great, in Verginia and in Thessaloniki! If you are in Greece, this in my book, is one of the most important exhibitions in all of Greece not to be missed!
Here are a few of my meagre earring designs that I create to pass my time:)
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 315 Reviews
- 868 Photos
- 3 Countries
- 29 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
- Commented on one of janetanne's Lavrio tips
- Posted in Travel Greece Forum "Re: Greek Language"
- janetanne and Michael_D are now friends.
- Wrote a Review Luxury Hotel and Spa at Limni... in Lake Plastira Hotels
- created a Lake Plastira Travel Page "Lake Plastiras - Limni Plastiras"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Lake Plastiras - Limni Plastiras"
- Commented on the Rome Things to Do travel guide
updated their Profile Page "Journal of an English Teacher in Athens, Greece"
- Uploaded a Video to World
PhotosSee All Photos (868)
VideosSee All Videos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spetses Island Intro, 42 reviews, 119 photos, 3 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 34 reviews, 84 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chios Intro, 22 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vouliagmeni Intro, 19 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue
- Windsor Intro, 12 reviews, 51 photos, 2 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 31 reviews, 31 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Attica Intro, 16 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Houghton Lake Intro, 21 reviews, 29 photos
- Anavissos Intro, 11 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sounio Intro, 12 reviews, 32 photos