"Yerebatan Sarnici (Basilica Cistern)" Istanbul Travelogue by hekate

Istanbul Travel Guide: 7,875 reviews and 20,440 photos

Some more pictures

OK, I really like the place that is why I decided to put so many pictures of Yerebatan Sarnici, so you to try to give you some vague idea of the beauty of this place.

Unique

This was the only column there which had some kind of decoration on its body.

Fish and coins

When you stand next to the column and you look down you will see crystal clear water.

What you will find in the wahte is lots of coins (I add my share) and fish :)))

The unique column from a different angle :)

The Medusa head upside down

Something you will see in the museumis the two columns having as a base Medusa heads. One of the heads is upside down the other one is sideways.

Here is a picture of me next to Medusa, so you can have an idea of the scale.

The Medusa head sideways

The two Medusa's head columns found in the northwest corner of the cistern are the great examples of the Roman Age art sculptures. It is not known exactly where these two heads came from, but there is a rumour saying that they were brought here after being removed from an antique buildings of the late Roman period.

The water

The water is all around you :))) You can see the cyrcles made by the drops falling from the ceiling.

Outside the weather was pretty cold (around 0 degrees C), so somehow I assumed the water would be cold as well. I decided to check and for my surprise I found that it was quite warm :)

Onece upone a time time Basilica Cistern was the most important water supplying construction. The cistern water was provided by the Belgrade woods located 19 km north of the city via aqueducts also built by emperor Justinianus.

The tickets

I have more pictures of this fabulouse place but I guess you already had enough of it :)))

So here is a picture of the tickets, If you enlarge the pictures you would probably see that there are different prices on the to tickets.

The reason is that as in Bulgaria they apply double standard when it comes to paying for museum tickets - they have a price for loacal people and another one (as you can guess - higher :) ) for foreigners.

• Page Updated Feb 16, 2005

Comments

hekate

“Enjoy life while you still can do so :)”

Badges & Stats in Istanbul

Have you been to Istanbul?

Latest Activity in Istanbul