"Yerebatan Sarnici (Basilica Cistern)" Istanbul Travelogue by hekate
Istanbul Travel Guide: 7,978 reviews and 20,864 photos
OK, I really like the place that is why I decided to put so many pictures of Yerebatan Sarnici, so you to try to give you some vague idea of the beauty of this place.
This was the only column there which had some kind of decoration on its body.
When you stand next to the column and you look down you will see crystal clear water.
What you will find in the wahte is lots of coins (I add my share) and fish :)))
Something you will see in the museumis the two columns having as a base Medusa heads. One of the heads is upside down the other one is sideways.
Here is a picture of me next to Medusa, so you can have an idea of the scale.
The two Medusa's head columns found in the northwest corner of the cistern are the great examples of the Roman Age art sculptures. It is not known exactly where these two heads came from, but there is a rumour saying that they were brought here after being removed from an antique buildings of the late Roman period.
The water is all around you :))) You can see the cyrcles made by the drops falling from the ceiling.
Outside the weather was pretty cold (around 0 degrees C), so somehow I assumed the water would be cold as well. I decided to check and for my surprise I found that it was quite warm :)
Onece upone a time time Basilica Cistern was the most important water supplying construction. The cistern water was provided by the Belgrade woods located 19 km north of the city via aqueducts also built by emperor Justinianus.
I have more pictures of this fabulouse place but I guess you already had enough of it :)))
So here is a picture of the tickets, If you enlarge the pictures you would probably see that there are different prices on the to tickets.
The reason is that as in Bulgaria they apply double standard when it comes to paying for museum tickets - they have a price for loacal people and another one (as you can guess - higher :) ) for foreigners.
- See All Orient house
- See All Arasta Bazaar
- See All Uskudar's open air cafes
- See All Hotel Delta
- See All St. Stephen - The Bulgarian iron church
hekate's Related Pages
Istanbul Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "STROLLING THROUGH ISTANBUL"
- "The only city in the world build in 2 continents"
- "Istanbul not/and Constantinople"
- "istanbul tips"
- "My Beloved Istanbul"
- "Beauty, Culture, & History - All In One Place!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Istanbul
- Hotels in Istanbul
- Transportation in Istanbul
- Nightlife in Istanbul
- Restaurants in Istanbul
- Shopping in Istanbul
- Warnings and Dangers in Istanbul
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Istanbul
- 41 Reviews
- 90 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 39 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Istanbul?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Istanbul
Photos in IstanbulSee All Photos (90)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sofia Intro, 99 reviews, 113 photos, 1 travelogue
- Istanbul Intro, 41 reviews, 91 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Borovec Intro, 26 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Buenos Aires Intro, 24 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bulgaria Intro, 29 reviews, 31 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rila Intro, 23 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melnik Intro, 22 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues
- Devin Intro, 15 reviews, 34 photos
- Trigrad Intro, 13 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bonn Intro, 11 reviews, 24 photos