"San Francisco Bands ... a tribute to Chet Helms" Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Travelogue by davequ
San Francisco Travel Guide: 9,328 reviews and 20,080 photos
The last time I saw the original Big Brother & Holding Co live was September 8 & 9 in 1967, opening night at the "Family Dog" in Denver,
an excellent ballroom run by Chet Helms
that was much like his Avalon Ballroom in SF at Sutter & Van Ness. My short tribute to Chet Helms (August 2, 1942 - June 25, 2005) is at the bottom of this page.
Chet booked music easily as good or better than the Fillmore, and it was accomplished with Chet's more mellow, music-loving, unmercenary approach.
The light show by Diogenes Lantern Works was first rate.
The stage at the Denver Dog was only a couple of feet high with a small railing.
You could walk up, reach out to Janis & touch her if you wanted to.
Here's the POSTER from that first show.
Catch "Ball & Chain" in the film "Monterey Pop"
I always thought the original Dead (with Pigpen) was something of a paradox or contradiction:
- On the occasional bad night - one of the worst bands in the world;
- On a special night - one of the best bands in the world.
Here is a 'Denver Dog' '67 Dead poster (by Dennis Nolan) from a '67 Chet Helms show.
(thanks AGAIN, Chet)
Marty (with Signe), - and Grace sang great, wrote good songs & got the lions share of the pub,
Paul Kantner is the glue that held it together. RIP PK January 28, 2016
Live, when the original lineup shown were having an "on night,"
there was nothing like it.
Original drummer Spencer Dryden (holding the banjo front-right) passed away recently.
Jack Casady was one of my early fave bass players. I stole from him shamelessly.
One of my favorite Paul Kantner quotes: (I'm paraphrasing)
"maybe for 1 week, or maybe just 1 day in 1967, we got it right..."
Rick appears to be back - Sometime you might want to go for a stroll up on A-Deck
Here also is a poster by the great Alton Kelley (rip) from the vault.
ps.... I originally wrote this in 2003 with a smile listening to Jorma's beautiful solo on the hidden "DCBA 25" remix basic track (without vocals....) on the latest release of Pillow.
Have you seen the stars?
To me, maybe the quintessential sf ballroom experience.
Their music, especially live, was unique & free.
The lineup that recorded the first 2 albums was my favorite incarnation, with John Cipollina
(rip - one of the classic and best sounds a guitar can make is John Cipollina attacking a Gibson SG with a whammy bar)
and David Freiberg (a great musician/songwriter, bassist/singer ... David now enriches live Starship performances)
as the heart & soul. (no "diss" to Gary, Greg or Dino)
I was a little late to the QMS party, not getting to see them live until September 15 & 16, 1967 at the Family Dog in Denver. They were excellent. Here is the POSTER from that show.
Classic Bands QMS
New live performance footage released in the latest Criterion DVD Monterey Pop
rhythmic, hypnotic, sensual & powerful, especially live.
This was the music you put on before you close the bedroom door.
Here's a taste: :x
Check out "Soul Sacrifice" in the 'Woodstock' film
Despite much of his history was "LA" and current residence in Santa Ynez,
no SF / Marin Cnty music page would be complete without David Crosby
Though in the past sometimes a selfish egoist when it came to drugs and "triad" sex, he was always my favorite Byrd, one of my alltime favorite solo artists;
possibly the best harmony singer ever born, and a true survivor.
You can find out what current mischief David is up to here:
UPDATE 11/'06 - David now has released (on Rhino) an amazing DVD / CD reissue of his classic (and probably my favorite) performance 'If Only I Could Remember My Name '
and a new book - 'Since Then'
Everyone knows they're from Venice / LA,
but early '67 / '68 Doors will always be welcomed & celebrated with the above groups as they (at least in the early days) also possessed the same tribal, Dionysian thing.
Most people (sadly) only remember the "hits,"
but a true Doors fan remembers the experience of Jim's live, free form, Lizard King poetry & presence with Ray, John, & Robby's jazz-like accompanyment (as long as Jim wasn't too drunk). ... Enciende mi Fuego
Wildest Doors gig I ever saw was New Years Eve December 31, 1967.
At midnight, they climaxed with a particularly spirited version of "When the Music's Over"
2013 © The Doors. All Rights Reserved
To Chet Helms:
Thank you for trying; thank you for everything!
Sad (for me) update 6/25/05 - Chet Helms just passed away last night.
... have a wonderful journey. Peace, good weather, good luck.
I felt bad when I heard the news, but then I had a selfish thought that cheered me up:
it is possible that somewhere in the universe Chet is getting ready to open the best ballroom ever.
Maybe someday if my karma is good I will be blessed to get past a winged doorman / bouncer ...
"no shoes? ... no shirt!?? no BODY??? ... no problem!!"
and enjoy a night or two at the ultimate Family Dog / Avalon Ballroom.
(we can only hope)
- See All THE VILLAGE HOUSE - Guest House in the...
- See All Great "traditional" Chinese with an...
- See All A North Beach Bar
- See All MISTERSF - A Great San Francisco Website
- See All Pit Stop at Specs
- Be wary
davequ's Related Pages
San Francisco Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bagdad by the Bay"
- "San Francisco - My Favorie City - By Default"
- "San Francisco - "It's a free-for-all up there!""
- "SFO ... a declassé love letter to the CITY"
- "San Francisco: Why this heart never leaves"
- "I Left My Heart..."
- "San Francisco is Really Shaking Things Up!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in San Francisco
- Hotels in San Francisco
- Transportation in San Francisco
- Nightlife in San Francisco
- Restaurants in San Francisco
- Shopping in San Francisco
- Warnings and Dangers in San Francisco
- See All...
Badges & Stats in San Francisco
- 86 Reviews
- 184 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to San Francisco?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San Francisco
- updated a San Francisco Travelogue "North Beach Crawl"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Cash only, good breakfast in North Beach"
- Posted in Travel Paris Forum "Re: Paris by Night--Rooftop view"
- Wrote a Review THE VILLAGE HOUSE - Guest House... in San Francisco Hotels
- Commented on one of Karnubawax's San Francisco travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 132 reviews, 384 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 63 reviews, 234 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 86 reviews, 194 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 57 reviews, 117 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 61 reviews, 109 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Laguna Beach Intro, 61 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 50 reviews, 92 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oakland Intro, 26 reviews, 31 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riomaggiore Intro, 18 reviews, 34 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rothenburg ob der Tauber Intro, 19 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
No friends yet.