"Spring Grove Cemetery I" Top 5 Page for this destination Cincinnati Travelogue by BeatChick
Cincinnati Travel Guide: 629 reviews and 1,463 photos
Located in section 20 is this great Gothic Revival funerary monument, the Dexter family mausoleum, commissioned in 1869 by a German whiskey baron immigrant.
My friend, fellow VTer MadAboutParis, is preparing to be a docent for the cemetery and she said that the descendents to the people entombed in the mausoleum are lost, which is very sad.
To read more about historic Spring Grove Cemetery, click HERE.
This mausoleum mirrors one in Paris' famed Cimetière Père Lachaise:
I couldn't resist climbing the steps & peering through the locked gates to take a peek & a photo of the flying buttresses.
From the website:
Salmon P. Chase was the notable Founder of the Cincinnati Law School. His career as an attorney was marked by his increasing prominence in the anti-slavery movement. In 1848 he was elected to the US Senate and in 1855 became the first Republican Governor of Ohio. Lincoln named him Secretary of the Treasury, and he had the enormous task of financing the Civil War. He founded the Internal Revenue Service and created the National Banking System. He was also appointed as Chief Justice of the Supreme Court and he conducted two of the most spectacular trials in history - the treason trial of Jefferson Davis and the impeachment trial of Andrew Johnson. He died in 1873.
- See All I'd Rather just Make a Burger at Home!
- See All AVOID AVOID AVOID
- See All Megabus
- See All Lytle Park
- Historic Hotel in Clifton
BeatChick's Related Pages
Cincinnati Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Seven Hills of Cincinnati"
- "Cincinnati, Ohio: The Queen City"
- "A Taste Of Cincinnati"
- "Cincinnati Ohio."
- "Low place like home, Cincinnati, Ohio"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cincinnati
- Hotels in Cincinnati
- Transportation in Cincinnati
- Nightlife in Cincinnati
- Restaurants in Cincinnati
- Shopping in Cincinnati
- Warnings and Dangers in Cincinnati
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cincinnati
- 135 Reviews
- 512 Photos
- 9 Forum posts
- 69 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Cincinnati?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cincinnati
- Wrote a Review I'd Rather just Make a Burger at Home! in Cincinnati Restaurants
- Posted in Travel Forum "Re: Port-Royal Hotel, Paris"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Parisian Pastries!!"
- Uploaded a Video to Cincinnati
- Commented on one of Darkeyedgirl's Cincinnati travel pages
- updated a Cincinnati Travelogue "Springtime at the Cincinnati Zoo - IV"
Photos in CincinnatiSee All Photos (512)
Videos in CincinnatiSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 377 reviews, 1289 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cincinnati Intro, 135 reviews, 589 photos, 8 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 65 reviews, 290 photos, 6 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 29 reviews, 130 photos, 6 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 34 reviews, 50 photos
- Illinois Intro, 80 photos, 10 travelogues
- Saint Louis Intro, 10 reviews, 36 photos
- Chartres Intro, 4 reviews, 16 photos
- Kentucky Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Martin Intro, 10 photos, 1 travelogue