"Things I like..." Personal Page by gregoryr1m
This was my grandfather's grocery store as I remember it as a small boy. Saturday afternoon visits with my parents were very special to me. As my parents shopped, my sister and I would make our weekly rounds...
"Hi Mable." She worked in the bakery.
"Morning Dick." Dick Bowman, the butcher.
"Hello Dorothy" (pssst.... she had blue hair like some ladies do. hehe)
And of course, stopping by my grandfather's office which over looked the entire store and we'd yell out, "MOM! DAD! Hi... up here!"
Grandpa would give us candy or a bottle of pop or a piece of fruit. Very fond memories, indeed!
I am a HUGE fan of old radios show, I have been collecting them since I was in high school... Jack Benny, The Shadow, Suspense, Fibber McGee & Molly... I love them all. The photograph was taken during a broadcast of the Jack Benny Show. Photographer unknown.
Here's a great source to download old radio show* RadioLover's.com
* Most. if not all old radio show from the 1920' to the early 1950's are public domain. Those such show had sponsers, such as J-E-L-L-O or Grape Nut Flakes, who owned their shows outright. After the copywrite ran out, those such sponsors never had any interest in marketing those radio shows so they went into public domain.
I loved Far Side and miss seeing it in my daily newspaper. Nothing compares... Gary Larson's sick, twisted way of looking at life always made me laugh. I think his philosophy in life is, "If a tree falls in the forest, what sound does it make?"
Some of my favorite movies, mind you this is just the start of my list:
Dracula (Lugosi version, of course)
The Sixth Sense
The Blue Dahlia
Arsenic and Old Lace
North By Northwest
City Lights (really anything by Chaplin)
Some Like It Hot
One, Two, Three
Phantom of the Opera (Lon Chaney)
Hard Days Night
L. A. Confidential
The Quiet Man
Sherlock Jr. (Buster Keaton)
Life Is Beautiful
Blues Brothers Movie
What can I say about music? It seems to be a universal laguange that all can relate to. As Louis Armstrong described good music as, "if you like it, then it's good music."
I have always liked the writers of the Algonquin Roundtable and the whole period. Here are the writers worth reading:
Franklin Piece Adams (FPA)
George S. Kaufman
Robert Sherwood *
Some of their contemporaries who were not memebers of the roundtable but worth reading are:
E. B. White
S. J. Perelman
Ring Lardner %f*
I love reading pulp fiction because pulp fiction is fun, it's corney, it's fascination. It transforms you into a world where cops and detectives are bad and street smart and to women are dangerous. And when these books became movies, they called the genre, "Film Noir" which is one of my favorites.
Some writers worth visiting are:
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 99 Reviews
- 373 Photos
- 5 Countries
- 14 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
- gregoryr1m and Viktosha are now friends.
- Commented on Italiana07's profile page
- Uploaded a Photo to "Greg's Homepage (a.k.a. "Wit's End")"
updated their Profile Page "Greg's Homepage (a.k.a. "Wit's End")"
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "RE: RE: Dr. Pepper"
- updated a Two Harbors Travel Page "Two Harbors, Minnesota"
- Wrote a Review Como Park Pavilion about Como Park Zoo and Conservatory in Saint Paul Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Minneapolis Intro, 15 reviews, 41 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Paul Intro, 15 reviews, 41 photos, 4 travelogues
- Bemidji Intro, 10 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Stillwater Intro, 15 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ireland Intro, 7 reviews, 24 photos, 3 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 9 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Toronto Intro, 26 photos, 5 travelogues
- Seattle Intro, 7 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Duluth Intro, 8 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- William O'Brien State Park Intro, 3 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Hotels
- 22167 Reviews - 53887 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3079 Reviews - 5774 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15524 Reviews - 30894 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23063 Reviews - 47263 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 11941 Reviews - 26475 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1928 Reviews - 3713 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 319 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8346 Reviews - 17012 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 1909 Reviews - 4475 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 325 Reviews - 885 Photos
- Toronto Hotels
- 4278 Reviews - 8803 Photos
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3341 Reviews - 7500 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2036 Reviews - 3787 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7638 Reviews - 19502 Photos
- Panama City Beach Hotels
- 193 Reviews - 288 Photos