"Winter Wonderland" Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Travelogue by scotlandscotour
Scotland Travel Guide: 12,514 reviews and 27,440 photos
Walking to work takes 20 minutes - across this park, called the South Inch. During flooding of the River Tay, this area is swamped.
The blue colour is natural - due to the snow and cloudy sky - not filters or photoshop.
In January, these trees are bare but, come summer, they provide welcome shade and shelter.
Most are Lime, with some Sycamore.
It is impossible to ignore snow in Britain ... it is quite rare and does not last long ... maybe a day or two ... but usually it turns to slush in hours, as the temperature is above freezing.
So, when it snows you must play - no matter how busy you are!
There must always be time in your day for play (just like meditation).
I passed this very gentleman on the road into Perth centre.
He didn't seem in any great hurry - wise!
This is a typical "winter scene" with crows resting in the trees, keeping their feet warm, huddled with backs to the wind. Pretty bleak.
Note however, that the next day could be sunny and mild, or wet and windy ... there is no easy predicting Scottish weather, being surrounded by mild seas warmed from the Atlantic Gulf (if Global warming melts too much Arctic Ice this "conveyer" of warm water from the hot Gulf region of Central America is predicted to fail - plummeting Western maritime Europe into an ice age!)
Trees remain without leaves for about 7 months of the year, depending upon species.
This frozen bird watches over the River Tay (see bridge in background).
Perth is full of these sculptures - with new ones being added all the time - unexpectedly.
See the Sculpture Trail in Perth
If you enlarge the picture and look to the right, you will see flood levels etched into the soft red sandstone - and see why it is called that.
Perth is at the tidal limit of the Tay Estuary - and the River discharges more water than any other river in Britain - so Perth is very vulnerable to flooding - the last serious flood in 1993 prompted major flood defences, gates and dykes. We wait to see them fully tested ... but it is only a matter of time.
If you enjoyed seeing these pictures of Perth in winter, check out more pictures and tips in the Perth and Tayside pages.
More Travelogues (1)
- See All The Best - as chosen by you
- See All Stay with the Locals - for free
- See All Public Transport Nightmare
- See All The Highland Clearances - Fishing...
- See All Hidden Secrets of the Past - Exploring...
- See All Megabus Fails To Show Up
- See All A Superb Cycle Tour - To Isle of Skye
- See All Snow Capped Beaks
- See All Whisky, Music, Dance, Laughter ......
- See All Cairngorm "Funny Car" - Fleecing...
- See All Fresh and Delicious Food, Every Time!
- Instant Barbeque Packs - All The Rage in...
- Four Seasons in One Day! Ever Changing...
Been to Scotland?Share your travels with the world!
scotlandscotour's Related Pages
Scotland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Scotland For The Brave"
- "Scotland Travel Tips - Scotland Edinburgh Orkney"
- "My Scotland page"
- "Alba, Caledonia, "God's Country"; this is Scotland"
- "Scotland: fascinating and impressive"
- "Ben-UK's Scotland page"
- "Scotland, a sassenach's view"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Scotland
- Hotels in Scotland
- Transportation in Scotland
- Nightlife in Scotland
- Restaurants in Scotland
- Shopping in Scotland
- Warnings and Dangers in Scotland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Scotland
- 361 Reviews
- 346 Photos
- 142 Forum posts
- 14 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Scotland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Scotland
- Posted in Travel Scotland Forum "Re: Costs in Scotland"
- Wrote a Review The Best - as chosen by you in Scotland Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "Public Transport Nightmare"
- Commented on one of Florida999's Scotland travel pages
- updated a Scotland Travel Page "Scotland Travel Tips - Scotland Edinburgh Orkney"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 95 reviews, 111 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Edinburgh Intro, 68 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orkney Intro, 47 reviews, 71 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 42 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glasgow Intro, 28 reviews, 27 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination United Kingdom Intro, 27 reviews, 27 photos
- London Intro, 22 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Skye Intro, 24 reviews, 6 photos
- Ronda Intro, 12 reviews, 15 photos
- Wales Intro, 11 reviews, 9 photos
Top Scotland hotels
- Edinburgh Hotels
- 3409 Reviews - 6784 Photos
- Glasgow Hotels
- 1241 Reviews - 2065 Photos
- Aberdeen Hotels
- 486 Reviews - 887 Photos
- Inverness Hotels
- 339 Reviews - 758 Photos
- Oban Hotels
- 178 Reviews - 343 Photos
- Fort William Hotels
- 207 Reviews - 372 Photos
- Melrose Hotels
- 20 Reviews - 58 Photos
- Pitlochry Hotels
- 91 Reviews - 192 Photos
- Kingussie Hotels
- 1 Review - 2 Photos
- Ayr Hotels
- 160 Reviews - 258 Photos
- Stirling Hotels
- 251 Reviews - 769 Photos
- Perth Hotels
- 110 Reviews - 170 Photos
- Arrochar Hotels
- 7 Reviews - 11 Photos
- Aviemore Hotels
- 46 Reviews - 77 Photos
- Peebles Hotels
- 6 Reviews - 22 Photos