"Antwerp" Personal Page by Martinewezel
View of Antwerp from the left bank on a drizzly winterday.
"Het Steen", the fortress of the 13th century at the river "Scheldt"
Nowadays it's a historic museum about navigation. Maquettes of old trading vessels, the origine of the port of Antwerp, emigration to America in the past century...
Being in Belgium it would be a shame not to try our national snack. With mayonaise of course, not with ketchup!
my tip: ask for a "curryworst special with curryketchup", you won't be disappointed!
Maybe something that very few tourists know: there is a tunnel for pedestrians to reach the left bank.
This left bank is not really worth a visit, but it's a perfect spot for a picture of the city skyline.
(see my first picture above)
Escalators in "art deco" style take you down under the Scheldt. It's like stepping back into time. Even the rolling sound of these old wooden mastodons is unique.
There is also an elevator, very practical for bicycles or baby buggies, but less impressive than the escalotors.
The fountain "Brabo" on the "Grote Markt (Grand Place)
The fountain shows the Roman Silvius Brabo throwing the hand of the giant Antigoon into the Scheldt.
to throw = "werpen"
--> to throw a hand = (H)Antwerpen
For the tourists, there is always animation.
Here at the entrance of the cathedral: 2 bronze chess players
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 406 Reviews
- 718 Photos
- 5 Countries
- 31 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
- Posted in Travel Germany Forum "Re: Base hotel.apt for Romantc..."
updated their Profile Page "Hello from Belgium"
- Commented on Jim_Eliason's profile page
- Uploaded a Photo to "Hello from Belgium"
- updated a Marne-la-Vallée Travel Page "The Wonderful world of Disney"
- Martinewezel and myriam_c are now friends.
- Wrote a Review Jetpack about Water Sports in Key West Sports & Outdoors
- Uploaded a Video to Annecy
VideosSee All Videos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chamonix-Mont-Blanc Intro, 43 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marne-la-Vallée Intro, 39 reviews, 70 photos
- Key West Intro, 36 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damme Intro, 22 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint-Valéry-sur-Somme Intro, 21 reviews, 35 photos
- Bagnères-de-Bigorre Intro, 13 reviews, 36 photos
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 17 reviews, 31 photos
- Paris Intro, 19 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Brussels Intro, 12 reviews, 23 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 12 reviews, 21 photos