"The longest train in the world: Zouérat-Nouadhibou" Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritania Travelogue by sachara
Mauritania Travel Guide: 645 reviews and 1,407 photos
Zouérat, an important iron-ore centre in the north of Mauritania, and Nouadhibou the harbour at the coast are connected by a railway. There are two trains every day in both directions. They told us the train can be 2 or 3 KM long.
The train brings the iron-ore from Zouérat to the coast, but it's also possible to make this traintrip of almost 20 hours as passenger or with your car.
We didn't take the train, but drove with our own cars the track of 400 KM from Choum to Nouadhibou just south of the railway.
We spent one night in the sanddunes not far from the railway. In the quiet night we could hear the approaching train allready from very far. When the train came near, the noise was very loud. It was like we had our tents at the rails.
The railway with its KM signs was our orientationpoint and life-line. Sometimes we could see the signs very clearly, but sometimes the most fresh tracks, we followed were a few KMs away from the railroad.
A few times we headed straight north to find back the railway to be sure, so we didn´t get lost by following a wrong track, as we did the first day. At last we arrived in a nomadic camp, where we found the three pickups, which tracks we were following allready some time. In the meantime we were KMs away from the railway.
Not far west from Choum the waterpump of the toyota landcruiser broke and destroyed also the ventilator and radiator. The only solution was, that the mitsubishi pajero dragged the landcruiser. And the pajero did ! A really good job for almost 400 KM ! After 14 hours we arrived in Nouadhibou.
The railway in the desert ...... our lifeline, not only for orientation, but also for the idea, that twice a day, there was a sign of other life in the desert, if we couldn't solve our problems ourselves any longer.
- See All Finally a shady terrace
- See All Guide in the desert
- See All Mauritania, 80% Sahara
- See All Travelling by air
- See All Nouadhibou, colourful streetlife
sachara's Related Pages
Mauritania Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mauritania - The Land of the Moors"
- "Looking for Gaia"
- "Salaam! Yakhe Lebass!"
- "My trip to Mauritania"
- "danielperals's new Mauritania Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mauritania
- Hotels in Mauritania
- Transportation in Mauritania
- Nightlife in Mauritania
- Restaurants in Mauritania
- Shopping in Mauritania
- Warnings and Dangers in Mauritania
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mauritania
- 88 Reviews
- 295 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (104)
Have you been to Mauritania?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mauritania
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 100 reviews, 388 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 68 reviews, 355 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 82 reviews, 313 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritania Intro, 88 reviews, 296 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 70 reviews, 304 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 58 reviews, 282 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Timbuktu Intro, 36 reviews, 236 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madeira Island Intro, 83 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination The Gambia Intro, 89 reviews, 159 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 41 reviews, 192 photos, 2 travelogues