"Poseidon's Feast" Croatia Travelogue by KristaB
Croatia Travel Guide: 13,212 reviews and 36,212 photos
A great starter or a refreshing meal.
Take 1,5 kg = 2 octopus that were cleaned and frozen - freezing for at least 2 days makes cooking easier, tenderizes octopus meat.
Almost defrosted, place in a pressure cooker with some water, and cook for about 30 minutes - depends how large octopus you have. Leave it to cool a bit in that water.
Now chop one large red onion and put it in a serving bowl, sprinkle with salt to make it "sweat" - this makes onions more pleasant to eat.
Add 1 chopped green pepper and 2 chopped tomatoes (seeds removed).
Cut off tentacles and remove the skin and suckers - if the octopus is properly cooked, it comes off easily, just wipe it off with your fingers.
Cut into small chunks, add to the serving bowl, plus
2 spoons of capers preserved in vinegar, some chopped or whole olives, olive oil, juice of 2 lemons, grounded black pepper.
Stir and refrigerate for at least one hour, serve with bread.
The God of the seas deserves only the best, fresh and opulent meals.
One such delicacy with pure true taste of the sea is large white fish baked in a casket of sea-salt, which acts like an envelope that preserves moisture and taste, but doesn't make the fish too salty, since the husks and the skin are removed upon serving.
You can use large Dentex or Grouper, maybe some other high quality white fish over 1 kg, cleaned from intestines but with husks. Use only fresh, not frozen fish.
Mix 2 kg of coarse sea salt with 3 egg-whites, spread a stripe size of the fish on the tray, lay the fish and cover it completely with the rest of that salt.
Bake in pre-heated oven on 190'C for about 1 hour - this Dentex was over 1,5 kg, so I baked it for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
Bring the whole fish in salt casket to the table, and break the crust with a mallet, remove chunks of salt, skin with husks and some large bones - serve pure white meat steaming with deep sea scent.
Serve with some high quality Extra Vergine olive oil and few drops of lemon, just to add some background to marvelous deep sea aroma of this dish.
Serve with baked or boiled potatoes with mangold leaves or zucchini, mixed with some olive oil, sprinkled with chopped parsley and some garlic.
More Travelogues (2)
Written Apr 10, 2003
Pustinja Blaca monastery - island Brac
Written Jun 2, 2004
- See All Dalamtia by ferry and local bus
- See All Hiking in Dalmatia
- See All WINDSURFING! KITESURFING!
- See All Archaeological Museum in Split
KristaB's Related Pages
Croatia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MY CROATIA"
- "Idyllic Croatia"
- "Hrvatska for Europe!"
- "Croatia - the summary of Europe."
- "A road trip through Croatia"
- "Natural Beauty and Stunning History"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Croatia
- Hotels in Croatia
- Transportation in Croatia
- Nightlife in Croatia
- Restaurants in Croatia
- Shopping in Croatia
- Warnings and Dangers in Croatia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Croatia
- 172 Reviews
- 282 Photos
- 352 Forum posts
- 14 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (31)
Have you been to Croatia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Croatia
Top 10 Pages
- Slovenia Intro, 26 reviews, 63 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hvar Intro, 24 reviews, 53 photos, 4 travelogues
- Croatia Intro, 27 reviews, 46 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Man Intro, 25 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Otok Krk Intro, 25 reviews, 29 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 4 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ohrid Intro, 4 reviews, 44 photos, 4 travelogues
- Lago di Garda Intro, 20 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Valeggio sul Mincio Intro, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vis Intro, 15 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
Top Croatia hotels
- Split Hotels
- 913 Reviews - 2390 Photos
- Dubrovnik Hotels
- 1816 Reviews - 4824 Photos
- Cavtat Hotels
- 157 Reviews - 419 Photos
- Zagreb Hotels
- 1867 Reviews - 4711 Photos
- Opatija Hotels
- 184 Reviews - 439 Photos
- Pula Hotels
- 528 Reviews - 1230 Photos
- Hvar Hotels
- 376 Reviews - 1004 Photos
- Rovinj Hotels
- 324 Reviews - 863 Photos
- Makarska Hotels
- 52 Reviews - 306 Photos
- Vis Hotels
- 71 Reviews - 192 Photos
- Porec Hotels
- 277 Reviews - 640 Photos
- Mlini Hotels
- 9 Reviews - 22 Photos
- Tucepi Hotels
- 15 Reviews - 51 Photos
- Trogir Hotels
- 198 Reviews - 673 Photos
- Zadar Hotels
- 369 Reviews - 1168 Photos