"Journey Through Red Rock Canyon" Nevada Travelogue by goingsolo
Nevada Travel Guide: 10,403 reviews and 22,394 photos
The day after an unusually strong November cold front, a thin layer of snow blankets the ground. The surrounding mountains are practically covered with white powder, making this area appear more like Colorado than dry desert Nevada.
This day's visit is actually during the tail end of the storm. Snow has become a light intermittent rain, but its 35 degrees and the grayish sky appears ready to let loose.
We hiked up a ways to get to the first rockwall. The picture is not as clear as I'd hoped, but, from this vantage point, the green and white-dotted valley contrasting with the red rocks was spectacular.
Its a steep climb to near the top of this formation where some of the more popular and easiest climbs begin. Its hard to see in the picture, and on this less than ideal day, but views extend to the Las Vegas Strip, which is about 20 miles away. I was told that, on a better day, you can see the distinctive shapes of the casinos from here. I'm not sure why you would want to, as the purpose for coming out here is to leave that behind, but it adds to the surreal condition of being surrounded by natural beauty mere miles away from the most unnatural and artificial setting.
The sun is finally coming out and snow is melting fast. That's the same valley which, only hours before, was covered in snow.
Even if you're not a climber or an aspiring one, I'd recommend taking the short but steep hike up one of the walls. There's a trail leading up here and the breathtaking view is worth the modest exertion.
Later in the day, the snow is almost entirely gone. It changes the view just a bit, but its stil beautiful.
The climbing wall. Known as the "Panty Wall." Interesting choice of words. Apparently, the first one to climb this route gets to name it.
goingsolo's Related Pages
Nevada Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Big Bold Beautiful Country"
- "Carson Valley 2003"
- "GEMS BEYOND THE STRIP"
- "Home in the Great Basin"
- "NEVADA: Awesome Landscapes"
- "Sneaking into Nevada under cover of darkness!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nevada
- Hotels in Nevada
- Transportation in Nevada
- Nightlife in Nevada
- Restaurants in Nevada
- Shopping in Nevada
- Warnings and Dangers in Nevada
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nevada
- 213 Reviews
- 254 Photos
- 28 Forum posts
- 7 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (78)
Have you been to Nevada?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nevada
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 133 reviews, 156 photos, 5 travelogues
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 96 reviews, 104 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 85 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Canyon National Park Intro, 85 reviews, 95 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bryce Canyon National Park Intro, 66 reviews, 81 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mount Rainier National Park Intro, 66 reviews, 74 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lone Pine Intro, 50 reviews, 80 photos
- Chicago Intro, 50 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 53 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zion National Park Intro, 51 reviews, 57 photos, 1 travelogue