"Ancient Cities of the World" Personal Page by iwys
I like visiting ancient cities. They seem to me to offer a physical link to our ancestors from thousands of years ago. I especially, like the signs of everyday human activity, like the chariot ruts in the streets of Jerash and Apamea or the rows of shops along the ancient high street of Aanjar.
Many of the world's great ancient cities are left to us from the classical world of the Greeks and Romans. One of the best-preserved of these is Leptis Magna on the North African coast.
The most extensive ancient city I have seen is Angkor in Cambodia. It includes Angkor Wat, which is the biggest temple in the world.
Ancient cites have often survived relatively undisturbed because they are in remote jungle or desert locations. One such city is Persepolis. Unfortunately, Alexander the Great got to it long before I did and caused quite a bit of disturbance!
More Personal Pages (2)
Written Feb 12, 2008
Children of the World
Written Apr 21, 2007
Castles of the World
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 2,023 Reviews
- 6,003 Photos
- 54 Countries
- 92 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
- Commented on one of iwys's Takht-e Jamshid (Persepolis) travel pages
- created a Georgia Travel Page "Georgia"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Georgia"
- iwys and sabrina2020 are now friends.
updated their Profile Page "The First Step"
- Wrote a Review Newest, Biggest and Best in Salalah Shopping
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: The Random Nature of Tip..."
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bucharest Intro, 95 reviews, 387 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 119 reviews, 295 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nottingham Intro, 89 reviews, 244 photos
- Malta Intro, 63 reviews, 236 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aleppo Intro, 51 reviews, 202 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tripoli Intro, 56 reviews, 191 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus Intro, 46 reviews, 163 photos
- Peru Intro, 42 reviews, 161 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 43 reviews, 139 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salalah Intro, 31 reviews, 125 photos