"Ancient Cities of the World" Personal Page by iwys

I like visiting ancient cities. They seem to me to offer a physical link to our ancestors from thousands of years ago. I especially, like the signs of everyday human activity, like the chariot ruts in the streets of Jerash and Apamea or the rows of shops along the ancient high street of Aanjar.

Many of the world's great ancient cities are left to us from the classical world of the Greeks and Romans. One of the best-preserved of these is Leptis Magna on the North African coast.

The most extensive ancient city I have seen is Angkor in Cambodia. It includes Angkor Wat, which is the biggest temple in the world.

Ancient cites have often survived relatively undisturbed because they are in remote jungle or desert locations. One such city is Persepolis. Unfortunately, Alexander the Great got to it long before I did and caused quite a bit of disturbance!

The most impressive ancient buildings I have seen anywhere in the world are the temples at Baalbek. They appear to have been constructed for giants and include the biggest columns ever used in any building in the history of the world.

• Page Updated Apr 17, 2007

Comments

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!

iwys

“I came, I saw and I had a good time”

Real Name