"Maritime Boulevard" Top 5 Page for this destination Odessa Travelogue by hunterV
Odessa Travel Guide: 510 reviews and 1,321 photos
The monument to Duke de Richelieu located in the middle of Maritime Boulevard ("Primorsky Boulevard" in Russian) must be one of the most famous sites in Odessa both in its history and popularity.
This monument has become one of the easily recognizable symbols of the city and the meeting points for many residents and visitors of the city.
Duke Emmanuele De Richelieu used to be Governor General of Odessa Territory and the Lord Mayor of the city from 1803 till 1814.
He contributed a lot to the development of the city and thankful city residents erected that monument to him in 1828, which was very rare in the Russian Empire then: to erect monuments to the governors.
The monument is called Duke for short. It has long been a meeting place of sweethearts, visitors of the city, businessmen, tradesmen, sailors and lots of other people coming to Odessa.
The monument stands where the famous Potyomkin Staircase begins. You can have a splendid view of Odessa passenger port from that place.
The monument’s author is the famous Russian sculptor Ivan Martos.
He depicted the triumphant duke in a Roman toga and explained it in the folowing way,
“The figure of Duke de Richelieu is depicted at the moment of his stalking along… The figure was designed in an antique style.”
The pedestal is adorned with three symbolic bronze figures in the Roman style: Mercury, God of Trade and two other goddesses: Femida, Goddess of Justice and the Goddess of Fertility.
You can walk round the monument for a long time admiring its perfect design and symbolism.
If you have a look at the monument from aside, as the humorous city residents prompt, you will see the Duke’s right hand’s gesture pointing to the lavish mansions as though he is saying, “This is for us, nobles”.
At the same time they interpret the gesture of his left hand holding a roll of his order or a city project as “And this is for the people” …(see the front picture attentively).
The city residents and visitors still come to this place to admire its beauty.
A visit to Odessa would be incomplete without seeing this architectural gem like leaving Moscow without seeing the good old Red Square or leaving St.Petersburg without seeing Palace Square.
Now there are cafes and beer tents, vendors and kiosks around that place. It is a very lively place, especially in the summer.
London hotel, one of the oldest city hotels, is one of the numerous sites in Maritime Boulevard.
I admired the reception hall with its beautiful chandeliers and marble columns when I was there, its nice inner yard with a café, its corridors and rooms.
I would say it is a typical old Russian hotel.
To complement your impressions of this part of the city why not take a fiacre and travel from maritime Boulevard all way thtrough De Ribas Street?
It might cost you $20, but the impressions are unforgettable I think.
Have fun visiting Odessa, dear fellow travelers!
See you in Odessa some day!
- See All Coffee Drinking Pleasure
- See All So Close And Yet So Far
- See All Construction Sites
- See All Europe's Longest Balcony
- See All Students' Club
- See All Memorial Plaques
- See All One of Arcadia Hotels
- See All Mexico Sports and Entertainment Center
- See All Odessa Photo Album
- See All Irish Pub
- Buying Soviet Souvenirs
- See All Mind the Sidewalks!
- Pushkin about Odessa
Been to Odessa?Share your travels with the world!
hunterV's Related Pages
Odessa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Capital of Humor"
- "0dessa - a visionary metropolis..."
- " The Southern Capital of Ukraine"
- "La plus méditerranéenne des villes d'Europe"
- "The pearl of the Black Sea"
- "Odessa on the Black Sea"
- "Me & My previous ship in the Background"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Odessa
- Hotels in Odessa
- Transportation in Odessa
- Nightlife in Odessa
- Restaurants in Odessa
- Shopping in Odessa
- Warnings and Dangers in Odessa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Odessa
- 73 Reviews
- 232 Photos
- 13 Forum posts
- 110 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (122)
Have you been to Odessa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Odessa
Photos in OdessaSee All Photos (232)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luhansk Intro, 357 reviews, 1924 photos, 14 travelogues
- Rubizhne Intro, 235 reviews, 1309 photos, 12 travelogues
- Syeverodonets'k Intro, 159 reviews, 1033 photos, 27 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 156 reviews, 1004 photos, 27 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kiev Intro, 99 reviews, 440 photos, 7 travelogues
- Horlivka Intro, 62 reviews, 451 photos, 10 travelogues
- Svyatogorsk Intro, 65 reviews, 405 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krasnodon Intro, 51 reviews, 342 photos, 10 travelogues
- Yelan' Intro, 58 reviews, 322 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stakhanov Intro, 49 reviews, 304 photos, 7 travelogues