"Spanish Bulls" Personal Page by easyoar
This page was inspired by diageva's page on the same subject. Somewhere I have some more pictures which hopfully I will post when I find them.
Essentially to reiterate what Eva's page says:
In Spain one of the sherry manufacturers (Osborne) uses the silhouette of a Black Bull (As in the kind they use for bull-fighting) as its trademark. In order to advertise their product, they got in the habit of producing huge advertising hoardings in the shape of this black bull and placing near the sides of roads. I like these bulls a lot, and they are hugely popular in Spain. BTW, these advertising hoardings are massive.
I'm about 1.85m (6 foot +) and if I jump high, I can just about reach the Bull's Cojones (not that I'm in the habit of doing this sort of thing you understand...)
Anyhow, there got to be a huge amount of pretty tacky roadside advertising in Spain, and the government there decided to ban all advertising on the roadside. Many Spaniards were up in arms at this. How could they lose their Osborne Bulls? So much fuss was made, that the government decided to amend the ban, and decided that advertising hoardings with no words on were OK. The Osborne Bull survived (and lives to fight another day - well okay maybe not).
A popular Spanish road journey game is to count the bulls as you drive along the motorway (especially down in the south where there are more of them).
If you have little idea what I am on about here, there is a Spanish Film with Penelope Cruz (yes more recently as seen on the arm of Tom Cruise) called "Jamon Jamon". As with many Spanish films of this era, the plot bears little relevance to real life, but it is pretty amusing all the same. Warning: This film has a reasonable amount of nudity and questionable morals, so if this isn't your thing don't watch it!
I spotted the bull above as I was driving between Nerja and Torremolinos one evening. The sky was going a brilliant shade of pink, and this picture is not manipulated in any way, that is exactly what was there (well OK, VT appears to have faded the colours a bit, but you get the idea!).
The next bull however I throw open for comment. Can anyone tell me where I took this Bull photo? I will be extremely surprised if anyone can guess! I will post up the answer soon...
OK, to answer the above question, and it was a bit of a trick question. The answer was:
In the back garden of my old house (in England).
If this doesn't sound very believable, check out the attached picture which will hopefully explain everything... I was just playing around with a souvenir I bought on holiday.
More Personal Pages (2)
Written Jan 20, 2005
Dolphins in Tenerife
Written Mar 8, 2005
VT's Naughtiest bits...
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 1,261 Reviews
- 1,412 Photos
- 14 Countries
- 44 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
- easyoar and Zandra are now friends.
- Commented on one of traveldave's Ohio travel pages
- Wrote a Review Temple Church - The Round Tower in Greater London Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Crossing the Road - but not pedestrians"
- created a Greater London Travel Page "London and its Environs - All new page"
updated their Profile Page "You've just stumbled into Easyoar's Homepage..."
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "RE: RE: Where is Gibraltar?"
PhotosSee All Photos (1412)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 210 reviews, 221 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 64 reviews, 103 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination French Polynesia Intro, 68 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Tenerife Intro, 64 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Easter Island Intro, 53 reviews, 57 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Segovia Intro, 46 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moorea Intro, 37 reviews, 39 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nicosia Intro, 37 reviews, 39 photos
- Kimmeridge Intro, 37 reviews, 39 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tahiti Intro, 32 reviews, 32 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22175 Reviews - 53908 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3079 Reviews - 5774 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15524 Reviews - 30894 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23066 Reviews - 47272 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 11941 Reviews - 26475 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1928 Reviews - 3713 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 319 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8349 Reviews - 17018 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 1914 Reviews - 4475 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 325 Reviews - 885 Photos
- Toronto Hotels
- 4278 Reviews - 8803 Photos
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3341 Reviews - 7500 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2036 Reviews - 3787 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7646 Reviews - 19527 Photos
- Panama City Beach Hotels
- 193 Reviews - 288 Photos