"At dry dock" Personal Page by jelw
Though the helm should be shared there can never be more than one Captain aboard.
My father, my captain, the man that taught us what love of travel truly is.
Howard Lenzer raconteur, renaissance man and world traveler most certainly is missed.
I wish I could do justice to him here but that can never happen. So I shall from time to time share a story of his here or on these pages.
True Story #993
A Journey of a Thousand Leagues Starts with a Thumb
The owner of the restaurant says to me
"How did he get here?"
He hitched I answer.
"and he didn't tell you he was coming?"
"hitched all the way from New Hope, Pa?"
"On labor Day?"
...so I take a deep breath and look at my 72 year old Dad. He sits in his wheelchair in the parking lot, his face lifted scouting the winds. Smelling the salt air that does not exist in Pennsylvania. As I collect my thoughts my father sticks out his thumb at the first passing car...
his journey has just begun I reply.
Many years of sailing on the sloop Shantih. She is a wooden Rhodes design sloop. 42 foot of beautiful lines and grace!
Sailing her was the passion my father passed on to me.
One of the lovely things about sailing is that it can be either a solitary or social activity. No one person should ever have to do all the work. Share the helm and the winch and you'll be ready for anything.
Here is my Popi Antonio taking his turn at the helm.
When the captain has pulled into safe harbor it is time to go ashore.
To a shoal for playtime or town for provisions, all aboard who are going ashore.
For those "who want to go boat sailing" go to the out-islands of the Bahamas.
"Once the realization is accepted that even between the closest human beings infinite distances continue to exist, a wonderful living side by side can grow up, if they succeed in loving the distance between them."
Rainer Maria Rilke
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 305 Reviews
- 632 Photos
- 10 Countries
- 50 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
- Commented on one of Dabs's Chicago tips
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: People who make me smile"
- updated a Long Beach Travel Page "6 miles at Sea"
- Uploaded a Photo to "6 miles at Sea"
- Wrote a Review Worth the walk across the bridge in New Hope Restaurants
- jelw and seabiscuit-sis are now friends.
updated their Profile Page "The most exotic place may be your own backyard"
- Uploaded a Video to Virginia
PhotosSee All Photos (632)
Top 10 Pages
- Onancock Intro, 26 reviews, 36 photos
- Key West Intro, 18 reviews, 32 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hana Intro, 10 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chincoteague Intro, 21 reviews, 20 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Hope Intro, 19 reviews, 20 photos
- Paris Intro, 16 reviews, 16 photos
- Rome Intro, 16 reviews, 16 photos
- Virginia Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Maui Intro, 5 reviews, 27 photos
- Venice Intro, 14 reviews, 16 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22165 Reviews - 53882 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3079 Reviews - 5774 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15523 Reviews - 30894 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23062 Reviews - 47262 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 11941 Reviews - 26475 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1928 Reviews - 3713 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 319 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8346 Reviews - 17012 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 1909 Reviews - 4464 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 325 Reviews - 885 Photos
- Toronto Hotels
- 4278 Reviews - 8803 Photos
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3341 Reviews - 7498 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2036 Reviews - 3787 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7633 Reviews - 19478 Photos
- Panama City Beach Hotels
- 193 Reviews - 288 Photos