"Pictures From The Air!!!" Personal Page by Marpessa
Ironically whilst making this page I was listening to LMC vs U2's "Take Me To The Clouds Above" - I didn't even realise it at first, but there you go.
I love this photo - I'm modest, I know - but I had never seen Australia (first hand) from this angle before (taken September 2004).
The above picture of Western Australia was taken when I was flying home.
When I was flying to London (via Singapore) I left Melbourne at quarter past midnight. I spent a lot of time looking down on Australia's darkened landscape, which was lit up occasionally only by the lights of cities or large towns.
What I remember most though is looking out of my window and seeing the Southern Cross. Even though the stars of the Southern Cross are from 288 to 364 light years from Earth, it felt like I was on the same 'level' as them high up in the sky- unforgettable!
Saudi Arabia - a land so flat, there were barely any hills, the sand was the palest sand I have ever seen, it was completely desert (I can't recall seeing many or any trees) with long straight roads and few houses/towns. It was an interesting journey for a girl who has lived in a city all her life (just imagine what it would have been like if my feet were on the ground!).
Unfortunately, I missed an opportunity to take a picture of some incredible sand dunes off the coast of Dubai - they were in the shape of a circle with patterns in the middle ~ it's hard to describe, but it was unbelievable, especially from my birds eye view.
Update: My friend Frank, VT member frankcanfly, has just sent me this picture from his recent trip to Dubai! And he has kindly allowed me to use it! Thanks Frank - it's an awesome photograph!!
The Mediterranean Sea, waters so blue. I crossed over many oceans, seas, rivers and lakes on my trip - each a distinctively different blue or green.
I passed over flat deserts of pale beige and rocky ones of dark orange.
Over countries with dense forests of the darkest green and wide open valleys of the lightest green.
I wish that I had taken more pictures on the plane - flying over half the world you definitely get a greater understanding of the word 'geography'.
It was on my flight over that I started to see the world with new eyes - or maybe I just opened my eyes to the bigger picture for a change.
Even though some of these pictures may look the same (coastlines of sand and water) the lands these borders contain are as diverse as are their people, history and cultures. I would love to see more of these countries and not just from the luxury of my seat on a plane.
I found comfort in flying back over Australia on my return home, even though I've never actually been to any of the states west of Victoria (besides 2 weekend trips to Mt. Gambier in South Australia about 10 years ago), all of this expansive land is my home.
No matter where my future takes me (if anywhere different geographically), my heart resides here, in the varied landscapes of Australia and with its people.
Nevertheless, just from my plane trips I am now open to the possibility of falling in love with other lands as well.
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 535 Reviews
- 1,390 Photos
- 17 Countries
- 40 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
updated their Profile Page "* Just another rolling stone *"
- Posted in Travel Canada Forum "Re: Driving on a foreign..."
- Commented on Marpessa's profile page
- Marpessa and Jarra are now friends.
- Wrote a Review Tuk-tuks in Máncora Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "Tuk-tuks"
- updated a Wallace Falls State Park Travel Page "A great day trip from Seattle!"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Geelong Intro, 61 reviews, 93 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 39 reviews, 94 photos, 4 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 33 reviews, 82 photos, 5 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 15 reviews, 82 photos, 4 travelogues
- Helsinki Intro, 23 reviews, 56 photos, 3 travelogues
- Salzburg Intro, 18 reviews, 60 photos, 4 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 18 reviews, 57 photos, 3 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 12 reviews, 62 photos, 3 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 19 reviews, 48 photos, 5 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 19 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Paris Hotels
- 22172 Reviews - 53908 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3079 Reviews - 5774 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15524 Reviews - 30894 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23065 Reviews - 47272 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 11941 Reviews - 26475 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1928 Reviews - 3713 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 319 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8349 Reviews - 17018 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 1909 Reviews - 4475 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 325 Reviews - 885 Photos
- Toronto Hotels
- 4278 Reviews - 8803 Photos
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3341 Reviews - 7500 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2036 Reviews - 3787 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7646 Reviews - 19527 Photos
- Panama City Beach Hotels
- 193 Reviews - 288 Photos