"*Poland N.E.. Hitler's assassination attempt here." Poland Travelogue by australia2
Poland Travel Guide: 17,269 reviews and 45,863 photos
A little east of the Central Mazurian village of Ketrzyn was the location (from 1941 through to '44) of Hitler's East Prussian Headquarters - his 'Wolf's Lair - Wolfsschanze'. The larger district was then known under the German name, Rastenburg. From there he conducted the planning of the ultimately futile war against Stalin's USSR.
Now it's a peaceful countryside locale.
Please see my Ketrzyn page for my video clip of the visit. Or browse my videos. (Not High Grade.) A clickable link coming up soon.
(Poor quality analogue video grab. Sorry, will do better. Also a couple of relevant 'pics' on my 'Must See' Activities page. Link further on.)
This location has also been referred to in this way - "... 5 kilometres east of Ke,trzyn, near the village of Gierl/oz'.." (Letters in Polish type not attainable on English keyboard ! Please excuse.)
As a result of the post W W I Versailles Conference the district was part of Germany, known then as East Prussia. It was seperated from Prussia proper by the Polish access to the Baltic Sea called 'The Polish Corridor'.
That was a part of Hitler's "excuse" for invading Poland on that fateful day, September 1st. 1939.
Thus began the dreadful World War 2.
Possibly better facilities now - I don't know.
All the Nazi heirachy were here at one time or another. Even the Italian dictator, Mussolini was here. Hitler showed him the shattered building where he 'miraculously' escaped death. "Destined to survive and continue to rule!"
There were permanent quarters for some and for his mistress Eva Braun. She and he were married hours before their joint suicide in the Berlin bunker.
Again apologies for poor quality.
(Actually I think that it adds to the 'atmosphere' of the locale viewing.)
Of course Hitler was back in Berlin when the Russian advance pummelled this apart !
australia2's Related Pages
Poland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Paul's Poland Page"
- "Between East and West .... in central Europe"
- "Sharrie's Poland Life-force"
- "Republic of Poland"
- "Countless reasons to Fall in Love...."
- "Poland - I wouldn't like to live somewhere else"
- "Why don't you come to Poland?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Poland
- Hotels in Poland
- Transportation in Poland
- Nightlife in Poland
- Restaurants in Poland
- Shopping in Poland
- Warnings and Dangers in Poland
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Poland
- 4 Reviews
- 44 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Poland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Poland
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Word Association Game."
- Commented on one of australia2's Poland travelogues
- updated a Poland Travel Page "The Majesty of Poland."
- Uploaded a Video to Poland
- Uploaded a Photo to "Hitler's assassination attempt and failure."
- Wrote a Review Walks from Palace of Culture. in Poland Things to Do
Videos in PolandSee All Videos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Melbourne Intro, 11 reviews, 44 photos, 6 travelogues
- Poland Intro, 4 reviews, 32 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cape York Intro, 25 photos, 4 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 1 review, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bamaga Intro, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Broome Intro, 13 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kalgoorlie Intro, 12 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mannheim Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Maryborough Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (79)
Top Poland hotels
- Krakow Hotels
- 4456 Reviews - 10367 Photos
- Warsaw Hotels
- 2979 Reviews - 7180 Photos
- Gdansk Hotels
- 1182 Reviews - 3559 Photos
- Zakopane Hotels
- 357 Reviews - 850 Photos
- Wroclaw Hotels
- 813 Reviews - 2158 Photos
- Katowice Hotels
- 214 Reviews - 491 Photos
- Szczecin Hotels
- 304 Reviews - 1138 Photos
- Lublin Hotels
- 185 Reviews - 450 Photos
- Bialystok Hotels
- 67 Reviews - 188 Photos
- Bydgoszcz Hotels
- 55 Reviews - 131 Photos
- Poznan Hotels
- 344 Reviews - 921 Photos
- Czestochowa Hotels
- 113 Reviews - 279 Photos
- Lodz Hotels
- 142 Reviews - 463 Photos
- Torun Hotels
- 251 Reviews - 496 Photos
- Rzeszow Hotels
- 27 Reviews - 46 Photos