"Aussie wildlife visitors" Personal Page by colin_bramso
The most colourful visitors, and the noisiest, are the Rainbow Lorikeets. Each one has different plumage, so you get to know them individually. Other members of the parrot family that we see in our garden are Rosellas, which are even more colourful but very shy, and sometimes King Parrots. They have the most amazing emerald green & bright orange colour combination. They're also shy and I've never managed to photograph them, but I'll keep trying.
One of the more unusual visitors was a very big Cuckoo. I think it's called a Channel Bill Cuckoo. You probably know that Cuckoos lay their egg in another bird's nest, so that the other birds will hatch the egg and raise the young bird. We watched a pair of Currawongs, which are quite big birds, like a Crow, raising a Cuckoo that just got bigger and bigger. The poor Currawongs nearly exhausted themselves trying to find it enough food! This happened two consecutive years. As the Currawongs were regular visitors to our balcony, they brought the Cuckoo along too.
Another unusual visitor only came once, but I managed to quickly take a photo of him, or maybe it was a her. It was a Heron, I don't know the correct name but I will try to look it up. It spent a while on our balcony, then wandered around our neighbour's swimming pool, where it's mate joined it. They eventually flew off back to the nearby lagoon, which is where we usually see them.
Not too unusual in this area are Brush Turkeys. In the heavily-wooded valley at the end of the street there are many of them. This was a bit different, though, because a tiny baby turned up in our front garden. We gave it water and food and it gradually became used to us. When it was just about fully grown it would take food from Geina's hand. Sometimes we see an adult bird walking around the garden and we wonder whether it's 'our' Turkey.
Getting away from birds, we have a family of Blue Tongue Lizards living in the back garden. They're quite big, maybe 40cm long. Although Geina's frightened of lizards, these are very useful because they eat snails. Geina grows various vegetables, herbs and salad, so she puts up with the Blue Tongues so there aren't many snails to do too much damage!
I took this photo on the balcony of a previous house we lived in, a Possum eating bread we'd put out for her. We also have plenty of possums in Terrigal. They live in the trees which are all around us, and they seem to like the fruit in my palm trees. Every evening, the security light comes on and it's a big possum climbing from tree to tree looking for the best fruit.
And finally, to prove how closely we co-exist with the wildlife, we have a pair of Magpies as regular visitors. This one became particularly bold and if I didn't feed him/her, would wander into the house looking for us. Here it is, right inside the lounge room being fed by Geina.
More Personal Pages (2)
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 424 Reviews
- 2,142 Photos
- 17 Countries
- 58 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
- Posted in Travel Dubai Forum "Re: things to do in 13 hours in..."
- Commented on one of colin_bramso's Terrigal travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Award winning French restaurant"
updated their Profile Page "Welcome to Australia (& Dubai)"
- Wrote a Review Fish & chips in Terrigal Restaurants
- updated a Singapore Travelogue "Plenty to see in Singapore."
- colin_bramso and margaretvn are now friends.
PhotosSee All Photos (2142)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 138 reviews, 570 photos, 5 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 30 reviews, 143 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sydney Intro, 26 reviews, 98 photos, 1 travelogue
- Terrigal Intro, 23 reviews, 77 photos
- United Arab Emirates Intro, 16 reviews, 75 photos, 1 travelogue
- United Kingdom Intro, 7 reviews, 69 photos, 1 travelogue
- Australia Intro, 8 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lucerne Intro, 7 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kuala Belait Intro, 9 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- York Intro, 7 reviews, 32 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22200 Reviews - 54008 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15557 Reviews - 30993 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3082 Reviews - 5778 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23039 Reviews - 47275 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 319 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 11942 Reviews - 26476 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 1912 Reviews - 4527 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1930 Reviews - 3719 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8369 Reviews - 17097 Photos
- Toronto Hotels
- 4277 Reviews - 8800 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 325 Reviews - 885 Photos
- Panama City Beach Hotels
- 193 Reviews - 288 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7699 Reviews - 19779 Photos
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3342 Reviews - 7500 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2421 Reviews - 6530 Photos