"Various things to be seen in Khartoum and area." Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Travelogue by uglyscot
Khartoum Travel Guide: 352 reviews and 749 photos
Beside the Nile on Nile Avenue is the Roman Catholic Cathedral. It is built in Byzantine style.
Attached to it is Sisters' School, a post-primary school for girls.
Although the north of country is almost predominantly Moslem, there are Christian churches like this in various parts of the town. At Christmas and Easter there are processions through the streets in some areas where groups march and drums are beaten .
Although this type of palm can be seen throughout the central Sudan, it is particularly striking because of the branching pattern.
Here it towers over the mahogany trees . The yellow vehicle is a Khartoum taxi. Each town has a different colour for taxis.
Although the Nile flows through the centre of Khartoum, not much use has been made of it. There are a few cafeterias along the embankment, and people sometimes enjoy sitting on the banks or wall and looking across the Nile to Tuti Island.
Not many boats use the river- small craft and floating restaurants, speed boats, yachts and the odd water skier, and the Tuti ferry, but there is none of the hustle and bustle that the Nile enjoys in Cairo.
On a calm peaceful day, the Blue Nile can be very blue, but this is more common away from Khartoum. This shot was taken at Soba, about 12 km from Khartoum going south.
There is a steep sloping bank during the winter, but when the river rises in the summer the water can reach much higher . If there is an exceptional flood like in the 1980s, the water will overflow its banks bringing chaos and much damage.
Anyone travelling by road south of Khartoum will pass numerous villages, but many have features in common. Many have shops catering for travellers - small cafes and soft drink stalls, though the lorry drivers tend to stop at places like Kamlin and Masseed or Massoudia.
The White Nile is a much wider slower river than the Blue Nile.
There is a dam at Jebel Aulia , and nearby was a favourite picnic spot where fishermen had their wooden boats.
It has always been a military area, and there is a training camp for those doing National Service, so tourists must be very careful and stop at any checkposts.
Tuti island lies in the river between Khartoum and Khartoum North. It is naturally a fertile land and produces vegetables for the capital.
Access is at present by ferry but plans are underway for a bridge to be built.
At present the way of life of the inhabitants is still like that of most Sudanese villages.
Crocodiles and a hippopotamus have been seen on the edges of the island within the last decades.
The latest bridge to be built over the White Nile from Khartoum to Omdurman was built by a Chinese company. It links Khartoum near the Forest with Omdurman at Fitihab. It is a wide road and has been instrumental for a lot of changes in the road system in western Khartoum, as well as for speeding the travel time to Omdurman.
- See All football
- See All coffee , cakes and snacks
- See All Traffic lights
- See All In sickness and in health
- See All See Khartoum War Cemetery
uglyscot's Related Pages
Khartoum Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Where the Two Rivers Merge into the Nile"
- "Where Africa and Arabia meet at the Nile"
- "Where The Two Niles Meet"
- "Elephant Trunk"
- "Discovering Khartoum"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Khartoum
- Hotels in Khartoum
- Transportation in Khartoum
- Nightlife in Khartoum
- Restaurants in Khartoum
- Shopping in Khartoum
- Warnings and Dangers in Khartoum
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Khartoum
- 67 Reviews
- 274 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 48 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to Khartoum?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Khartoum
Videos in KhartoumSee All Videos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 103 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 67 reviews, 274 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 80 reviews, 222 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 64 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 49 reviews, 207 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 51 reviews, 177 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 29 reviews, 152 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 26 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 26 reviews, 131 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omdurman Intro, 23 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues
Latest Khartoum hotel reviews
- Al Salam Rotana Hotel
- 114 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Burj Al-Fateh Hotel
- 79 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2013
- Hilton Khartoum
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
- Grand Holiday Villa Khartoum
- 34 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 18, 2013
- 5M Hotel
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 22, 2012
- Regency Hotel
- 3 Reviews & Opinions