"Drigung Til Monastery" Zhigung Travelogue by tompt
Zhigung Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 52 photos
High above the valley sitting on the slope of the mountain is the Drigung Til Monastery.
The monastery itself is not very special. Although it was founded in the 12th century the
present building is not very old. It was damaged during the cultural revolution and rebuilt
in 1983. The view from the monastery is great tough.
Especially when once every twelve year they have a festival and thousands camp in the valley below.
The festival is in honor of women, children and fertility, and is held in the year of the ape (2004-2016-2028 and so on)
The main assembly hall looks very good with its shiny golden ornaments on top and the colorfull prayerflags in front.
But when there are thousands visiting, the offerings can make the place look a bit like a rubbish dump.
The offerings are mostly white scarfs and the yellow packages of (yak)butter.
Some what higher in the mountains is the most holy dürtro (skyburial place) in the Lhasa region.
It is located next to the prayer flags on the left side.
A skyburial is the Tibetan way of disposing a body.
See our local custom tips for more about this, but in short the body is fed to the vultures. It was a very intense experience of which we ofcourse didn't take pictures.
tompt's Related Pages
Zhigung Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Zhigung
- 9 Reviews
- 52 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (42)
Have you been to Zhigung?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Zhigung
Photos in ZhigungSee All Photos (52)
Top 10 Pages
- Netherlands Intro, 39 reviews, 270 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valkenburg Intro, 100 reviews, 189 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 39 reviews, 243 photos, 13 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 104 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 84 reviews, 127 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 61 reviews, 138 photos, 8 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 29 reviews, 168 photos, 11 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 13 reviews, 162 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texel Intro, 59 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues