"More Hiking in Banff National Park" Top 5 Page for this destination Banff National Park Travelogue by madamx
Banff National Park Travel Guide: 780 reviews and 1,488 photos
This is a fairly easy hike, round trip 6km, elevation gain 260 m. The trail head is located near Peyto Lake. You get a fantastic view of the Icefields Parkway from here as well as a good view of Crowfoot Mountain and Glacier. The only downside of the hike is getting past the crowds admiring Peyto Lake. I recommend a really early start to get a space in the parking lot ( 8 a.m.) or if you can manage a later afternoon start (5 p.m.) which is quite possible during the summer. It doesn't seem like this is too popular a hike, as our only company was a curious marmot.
The trail is an old fire road all the way to the end. The view was even stunning through the haze of forest fires.
This is a moderate hike to an alpine lake which is approx 12 km, and you should plan about 2 1/2 to 3 hours one way if you are fairly fit. This hike is quite popular with two-legged animals as well as four-legged. Namely, bears! This is a popular grizzly hangout . I recommend hiking in a group, and avoid early hours as well as evening hours. If you aren't in a group, usually the area is busy enough that you don't have to worry.
We ended up having to turn back , as hard to believe as it is from this picture, a severe rainstorm blew in 15 minutes after it was taken. We were approx 1 km from the lake! Ah, well, there's always next year. And it proves how quickly the weather can change in the rockies.
Wilcox Pass is located just inside Jasper National Park.
This hike is 8 km and more if you
want to wander around the alpine meadows of Wilcox Pass. I would rate this hike easy to moderate(elevation gain 335m) ; you don't notice the hard parts because the scenery is so outstanding, with excellent views of the Columbia Icefields
This is only a sample of the spectacular views from the meadows of Wilcox Pass. If you look carefully to the left, you can see the trail.
You can do this gentle hike any time of the year. I suggest if you are staying in the Banff area to go around 5-6 pm when most of the tourists have left, as this area can get quite crowded. Round trip is 6.2 km to the upper falls with an elevation gain of 215 m. In the winter, the falls are frozen into fantastic sculptures and there are icewalk tours available.
More Travelogues (2)
Written Sep 19, 2007
Hiking in Banff National Park
Written Sep 9, 2006
At Banff's Borders--Emerald Lake and Lodge, BC
- See All Fuze Finer Dining
- See All Parker Ridge
- See All Bow Falls
- See All Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel
madamx's Related Pages
Banff National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "CANADA'S FIRST NATIONAL PARK"
- "under re construction please come back"
- "The Canadian Rockies"
- "BANFF NATIONAL PARK"
- "Not Really Bashing Banff But...."
- "Banff National Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Banff National Park
- Hotels in Banff National Park
- Transportation in Banff National Park
- Nightlife in Banff National Park
- Restaurants in Banff National Park
- Shopping in Banff National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Banff National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Banff National Park
- 54 Reviews
- 76 Photos
- 103 Forum posts
- 60 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Banff National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Banff National Park
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: What is the most derogatory..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Columbia Icefield"
- updated a Banff National Park Travelogue "More Hiking in Banff National Park"
- Wrote a Review Fuze Finer Dining in Banff National Park Restaurants
- Commented on one of zrim's Banff National Park travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Calgary Intro, 79 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Banff National Park Intro, 54 reviews, 77 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 56 reviews, 58 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kananaskis Lakes Intro, 52 reviews, 52 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 54 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 42 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mexico Intro, 35 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of British Columbia Intro, 34 reviews, 37 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 34 reviews, 37 photos
- Italy Intro, 31 reviews, 32 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (48)
Latest Banff National Park hotel reviews
- Brewster's Kananaskis Guest Ranch
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 23, 2011
- Bow Valley Motel
- 92 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Patricia Lake Bungalows
- 491 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013
- The Glacier View Inn
- 84 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 3, 2013
- Banff Springs Hotel
- 111 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Mt. Engadine Lodge
- 57 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 25, 2013