"Last Visit to the Alligator - April 2004" Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge Travelogue by grandmaR
Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 56 photos
As we come down the Alligator, two power boats pass and wake us and SEA CHANGE ahead of us and go down to the bridge. The bridge tender calls them on the radio several times to ask them to go through the bridge on the west side. They do not. The second boat goes over on the west side and then circles back to go through the east side.
I called the bridge tender and asked if we were supposed to go through on the west side or on the east side like the two power boats.He responds that we are indeed supposed to go on the west side and they must not listen to their radios. SEA CHANGE said they weren't very polite, and I said "Downright rude". The bridge tender then answered that it was a wonder we were both still afloat. We both went into Alligator River Marina.
We got fuel ($1.24/gal - it would have been $1.14/gal if we'd gotten over 100 gallons) and tied up in our slip after 50.0 sm.
I went over to pay, and got an ice cream cone. Later two guys in a big power boat named LADY HAWKE came in bound for NY state. They'd been offshore from the St. Mary's River to Beaufort NC. Said it took them 3 days. SEA CHANGE had about 5 people on board - they had just bought the boat in Beaufort and were 'delivering' it to Cape Cod.
Still later two guys came in in a big catamaran - they'd been inside the whole way, but of course they have almost no draft so they had no problem. Last a little fin keel sailboat came in and got fuel. Both of the latter two boats didn't go to a slip but tied up on the wall next to the main building. I think it is more expensive there - the regular slips are $1.00/ft.
We found that there is an actual restaurant with menus, cloth napkins and lighthouse models as table decorations and everything called Capt. Charlies. They open mostly on the weekend, but there were enough of us that they opened for us to eat there tonight. It's actually the same menu as for the tables outside, but there's more room to sit in here.
I had the ribeye and Bob had the chicken, and then I had another ice cream.
I went up and did email, and the guys on LADY HAWKE came in to do their laundry. They didn't care that it was only cold water. Bob had a shower, but when the washers filled, he got scalded.
The weather guessers tell us that there are going to be big wind and waves in the Albemarle tomorrow, but that the winds will die off later.
Bob got up at the usual time, and we did the best we could to get the weather. Bob says there's more wind out on the river than in the marina. He's concerned because there's apparently a big oil leak and there's some oil in the bilges, so he fools around a bit and finds also a coolant leak.
We start the engine about 8. LADY HAWKE has already left, and SEA CHANGE leaves just before us. The river is slightly choppy. The other monohull in the marina passes us, along with a trawler that has come through the bridge.
More Travelogues (4)
Written Apr 16, 2009
2000, November 10-11 Traversing the Alligator
Written Apr 11, 2005
Alligator River North to Coinjock April 2001
Written Jan 17, 2004
ICW Trip 2001Leg 7 Elizabeth City-Alligator River
Written Apr 11, 2005
Coming north thru the Alligator River - April 2002
grandmaR's Related Pages
Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "ICW along the Alligator River - no alligators"
- Create a Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge Travel Page
- Things to Do in Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge
- Restaurants in Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge
- 6 Reviews
- 53 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (516)
Have you been to Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge
- Posted in Travel San Francisco Forum "Re: Monterey,Cambria, Los Angeles"
- updated a Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge Travelogue "Last Visit to the Alligator - April 2004"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Alligator River Refuge"
- Commented on one of grandmaR's Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge travel pages
- Wrote a Review MM 105 Anchorage at head of Canal in Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge Sports & Outdoors
Photos in Alligator River National Wildlife RefugeSee All Photos (53)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 728 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 647 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 367 photos, 13 travelogues
- London Intro, 78 reviews, 305 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 57 reviews, 258 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues