"Whakarewarewa Thermal Valley, Rotorua." Rotorua Travelogue by worldkiwi
Rotorua Travel Guide: 484 reviews and 1,224 photos
Whakarewarewa has been Rotorua's premier visitor destination for many decades. Its most famous sight is the spectacular Pohutu Geyser, but it also has a good display of boliing mud pools, a kiwi house, and a Maori cultural institute. You can see cultural performances every day at 1215. You can also look around the carving institute and admire some fine craft work. If you've got a spare few hundred dollars you can even buy some woodwork! Entrance to the valley is $NZ19.95.
You cannot enter at Tyron Street anymore. Infact, the village at that end of the valley is a separate commercial entity now. You can see crafts there too and experience a hangi (traditional cooking event), but you won't have access to the thrermal attractions. My recommendation is to go to Whakarewarewa through the institute entrance.
This is the Ngamokaiakoko mudpool at Whakarewarewa.
This is the Ngararatuatara cooking pool. Food used to be boiled in this.
More Travelogues (1)
worldkiwi's Related Pages
Rotorua Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to Roto-Vegas!"
- "Clean Steam - Smell Hell - Culture Capital"
- "Rotorua, main tourist attraction in North Island."
- "Maori Culture"
- "Rotorua: between sulphur smell and maori culture"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rotorua
- Hotels in Rotorua
- Transportation in Rotorua
- Nightlife in Rotorua
- Restaurants in Rotorua
- Shopping in Rotorua
- Warnings and Dangers in Rotorua
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rotorua
- 14 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Rotorua?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rotorua
Photos in RotoruaSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 44 reviews, 74 photos, 5 travelogues
- New Zealand Intro, 50 reviews, 51 photos
- United Kingdom Intro, 41 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cook Islands Intro, 36 reviews, 47 photos
- Oregon Intro, 31 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Japan Intro, 29 reviews, 47 photos, 3 travelogues
- Christchurch Intro, 29 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Independant State of Samoa Intro, 23 reviews, 48 photos
- Bali Intro, 33 reviews, 35 photos
- Northland Intro, 27 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue