"4th of July in Novato - Down Home America" Novato Travelogue by jessicadf
Novato Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 85 photos
The Novato Presbytarian Church sponsored a big pancake breakfast in the parking lot of the former Pini's Hardware store, just around the corner from our house. In fact, that parking lot is behind our back fence. So we were awoken at 7am to the sounds of their PA system playing bad neo-country music. We should have asked for a discount on our breakfast fee. ;-)
Okay, so in a moment of madness, Mark accepted a piece of ham with his pancakes and eggs. Unfortunately, he doesn't like ham. But he seemed to enjoy the rest.
This year's theme was "Home Town Heros," and started with convertible cars parading about fire fighters, police officers and military veterans. I'll admit to getting teary eyed from time to time.
But still quite rural. Novato's the most populated, and largest town in Novato, but it's so spread out, you might not realize it. Also, it's one of the towns that have rural enough areas that there are plenty of horse stables and corrals. Here we see some horsemen and horsewomen on parade
Firefighters -- some of my favorite of the public service folks. Anyone who risks their life to save other's lives and posessions is a-okay in my book.
Local businesses, of course, were included in the parade. Chicken-man was representin' for one of our favorite places to grab a bite - California Grill and Rottisserie.
When you hear the irish pipes a-callin'....
Okay, one of the best parts of the parade were the basset hounds. Who knew there were so many? At least 100 bassets trotted, meandered or were wheeled down the parade route at one point. It was delightfully ridiculous! The old and gray ones being pulled in carts brought a tear to my eye in their sweetness.
- See All Finally a really GOOD restaurant in...
- Fresh produce in the Summer
- Horseback on the trails
- See All The "hip" bar -- ick
jessicadf's Related Pages
Novato Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Once was my home and now it's home again"
- "Novato, California"
- "OLOMPALI STATE PARK"
- "Novato VT BBQ with friends"
- "And the Marin Tour '04 continues on...."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Novato
- Transportation in Novato
- Nightlife in Novato
- Restaurants in Novato
- Shopping in Novato
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Novato
- 23 Reviews
- 49 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 44 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Novato?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Novato
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Best rental car company for..."
- updated a Novato Travel Page "Once was my home and now it's home again"
- Commented on one of jessicadf's Novato travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Oh my GOD sandwiches"
- Wrote a Review Finally a really GOOD restaurant in Novato!! in Novato Restaurants
Photos in NovatoSee All Photos (49)
Top 10 Pages
- San Francisco Intro, 63 reviews, 105 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Point Reyes Station Intro, 77 reviews, 85 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Rafael Intro, 61 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 42 reviews, 69 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sausalito Intro, 44 reviews, 65 photos, 3 travelogues
- Boston Intro, 31 reviews, 68 photos, 5 travelogues
- Yosemite National Park Intro, 32 reviews, 43 photos, 1 travelogue
- Novato Intro, 23 reviews, 49 photos, 4 travelogues
- Mumbai Intro, 31 reviews, 32 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Lucia Intro, 17 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues