"Ancient Temples of Angkor Wat" Angkor Wat Travelogue by Ewingjr98
Angkor Wat Travel Guide: 1,638 reviews and 4,721 photos
0900 -- Arrive at Siem Reap airport from Bangkok via Bangkok Airways, purchase visa $20 + photo $3. Hire motorcycle for ride to town ($1).
0930 -- Arrive in town. My driver takes me to the Home Sweet Home Hotel (which he obviously has some affiliation with) and I agree to a room for $20, probably $5-$10 more than others have paid. We also agree to a 2-day visit to the temples for $8 per day.
1000 -- Arrive at the temples. $40 gets me a three-day pass. I also have to wait a few minutes to get my photo taken (bring a passport photo!).
1030 -- the first stop is outside of Angkor Wat for a few photos then off to Bayon at the center of Angkor Thom. I am immediately greeted by a teenage Khmer boy who gives me the "grand tour" of the temple, showing me the good photos and teaching me some history. Throughout the tour, I planned to give him a $1 or two, and when I do, he demands more money. I quickly learn this is one of the local scams. I am more weary of the "tour guides" after this. I have a huge lunch of spring rolls and fried rice outside of the temples for about $5.
1330 -- Stop 2 is Ta Keo a small and worn mountain temple.
1430 -- Stop 3 is Ta Prohm, one of my favorite temples due to the overgrown and ancient feel. Parts of Tomb Raider were filmed here. The kiods convince me to walk to see Buddha's head in the trees, but most of the trees were removed.
1600 -- The next sop is Sras Srang and Banteay Kdei. I am exhausted after a long day of travel and temple viewing, so I take a short nap in the temple.
1700 -- Short visit to impressive Angkor Wat.
1800 -- Sunset at Phnom Bakheng, a good sized mountain. Apparently this is where all tourists are taken at sunset.
1900 -- I convince my driver to show me where he eats dinner. I have beef and noodles, he has pork intestines. He graciously shares wiht me!
2000 -- I walk 15 minutes from my hotel to the old market where the famous nightlife is. I stop at "Angkor What", then Temple Club, then hang out with the Frenchmen at the Banana Leaf before heading off to bed before 10pm.
0430 !!!!!! -- Somehow I crawl out of bed at 0430, and meet by driver by 0530.
0600 -- We are at Angkor Wat to watch the sun rise.
0700 -- We begin the Grand Circuit, stopping at Preah Khan (similar to Ta Prohm), Neak Pean (which is unimpressive in the dry season), Ta Sohm (famous for the gate being strangled by the trees).
1030 -- I am tired so I agree to a break from 11am to 2pm during the heat of the day.
1100 -- I make a quick circuit of the town and exchange Baht for US$. The locals change you 50 Baht for a dollar while the money exchange gives you 42 Baht for the dollar. In Thailand, it is about 40 baht to the dollar. Lesson, bring US$ or exchange baht for US$. DO NOT PAY IN BAHT!!!
Lunch at Forest Hut Restaurant
1300 -- Return to the hotel for a 45 minute nap.
1400 -- Ride to Pre Rup for a quick tour in the hot sun. Since we missed much of the Bayon, I talk my diver into going there next instead of finishing the Grand Circuit.
1500 -- At the Bayon, visit Terrace of the Elephants, Terrace of the Leper King, Preah Palily Temple, Royal Palace, and Baphuon which is undergoing major renovations. Don't expect to see the famous reclining Buddha!
1800 -- Back to Phnom Bakheng for a much better sunset tonight.
1930 -- Dinner at Sampheap Restaurant with a few buses of Asian tourists.
2030 -- asleep early!!!!
0900 -- Awake, walking tour of Siem Reap.
1000 -- Breakfast at Kokoon French-style bakery.
1100 -- Check out of hotel. Pay only $15 per night instead of $20.
1115 -- Moto to airport. I pay my driver $20 for two days of touring plus rides to and from the airport. $25 departure fee.
1230 -- Depart for Bangkok
- See All Phnom Bakheng - Sunset
- See All Bicycle around the temples
- See All Lara Croft at Angkor Wat
- See All Telephone Calls
- See All Monkeys
Ewingjr98's Related Pages
Angkor Wat Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Angkor Wat"
- "Angkor Wat Rediscovered"
- "Angkor What?"
- "Facing to the west and stairway to heaven"
- "Angkor Wat: Our Own Personal Tuk Tuk"
- "Angkor Wat"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Angkor Wat
- Hotels in Angkor Wat
- Transportation in Angkor Wat
- Nightlife in Angkor Wat
- Restaurants in Angkor Wat
- Shopping in Angkor Wat
- Warnings and Dangers in Angkor Wat
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Angkor Wat
- 40 Reviews
- 135 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (68)
Have you been to Angkor Wat?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Angkor Wat
Photos in Angkor WatSee All Photos (135)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tampa Intro, 283 reviews, 1242 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monterey Intro, 245 reviews, 1123 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 194 reviews, 902 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seoul Intro, 214 reviews, 848 photos, 17 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 150 reviews, 753 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alexandria Intro, 168 reviews, 735 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 107 reviews, 469 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 90 reviews, 470 photos, 12 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 100 reviews, 415 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arlington Intro, 71 reviews, 373 photos, 4 travelogues