"Around Mt. Charleston and the Canyons, Part II" Mount Charleston Travelogue by soccergrrl
Mount Charleston Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 71 photos
I picked myself up, dusted (snowed?) myself off, and we kept going. Some of these trees don't seem to have been so lucky -- we saw lots of them that had obviously been flattened by snow.
Look! More snow! This was a pleasant little side trail that led to a waterfall. It made a great place for a peaceful break for water and snacks. We sat on a rock and enjoyed being the only people there . . . it was so quiet; there weren't even any planes overhead.
Another view along the trail, looking back the way we came . . . which is now the way we were headed, since we got to a point where the snow covered so much of the trail, you couldn't see where it went after it disappeared into the snow. (You can see a picture of that point in my "warnings and dangers" tips.)
I took this as we came back to the start of the trail. If you enlarge it and look closely, you'll see all the little houses and cottages on the hillside.
I love trees . . . this one was at the start of the trail. It was so tall and ancient, and had crumbly, thick bark.
(hmmmm . . . note to VT -- we've got a picture category for flowers/foliage, but not for trees!)
After we hiked, we ate lunch at a restaurant near the trail head and then drove across to Lee Canyon. That's where you'll find Las Vegas Ski and Snowboard Resort. We drove to the end of the road there and looked around. The resort, of course, was closed.
Here's one of those ancient and gnarled bristlecone pines.
And I don't know what kind of tree/cactus this, but they are all over the desert on the way to and from Mt. Charleston. Some of them have the most comical shapes . . . they look like something from a cartoon, or a Dr. Seuss book.
More Travelogues (1)
soccergrrl's Related Pages
Mount Charleston Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "An Escape to Mount Charleston"
- "Mountain Respite"
- "Las Vegas Mountain Retreat"
- "SoCal78's Mount Charleston Pic's"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mount Charleston
- Hotels in Mount Charleston
- Transportation in Mount Charleston
- Nightlife in Mount Charleston
- Restaurants in Mount Charleston
- Warnings and Dangers in Mount Charleston
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mount Charleston
- 2 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Mount Charleston?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mount Charleston
Photos in Mount CharlestonSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 46 reviews, 59 photos, 5 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 36 reviews, 67 photos, 5 travelogues
- Massachusetts Intro, 22 reviews, 46 photos, 3 travelogues
- Santorini Island Intro, 11 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 6 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valley of Fire State Park Intro, 9 reviews, 33 photos, 3 travelogues
- Switzerland Intro, 9 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Capon Bridge Intro, 2 reviews, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- Alexandria Intro, 9 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mount Charleston Intro, 2 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues