"Narrow Gauge Budd Car to the Shore" Top 5 Page for this destination Estado do Parana Travelogue by glabah
Estado do Parana Travel Guide: 838 reviews and 2,187 photos
On my previous trip over this railroad line, in January of 2002, I was on a standard tourist class car. This service ends in Morretes, and uses vans to move tourists around the city and deliver them back to Curitiba - sometimes right to their hotel doorstep.
This company also offers trips by self-propelled passenger car (a variation on the Budd RDC used built in North America in the 1950's) that in Brazil is known as a Litorina
or Automotriz. Serra Verde Express uses the term Litorina. Normally, this service also ends in Morretes.
However, in September of 2003, I rode with a group that chartered the car all the way between Curitiba and Paranagua by train, which would not normally happen under the current timetable.
The Ponta São João (Saint John Bridge) is one of the spectacular points on the line. The center span alone on this bridge is 70 meters long - about 228 feet. The bridge is listed at 55 meters (178 feet) high, but this must only be the height of the supports. It is obviously much higher than 200 feet above the canyon floor.
The Santuário da Nossa Senhora do Cadeado (Sanctuary of Our Lady of Cadeado) was established in the 1960's at a location that features one of the most scenic views along the line.
Now that the tourist trains have grown to so many cars, the standard trains no longer stop here. Our chartered Litorina had no problem doing so, however.
The railway has many spectacular views and dangles off the side of the hills in many places.
Naturally, there are a number of waterfalls along the mountain range along the coast. One of the ones that can be seen from the train is Bridal Veil falls. Telephoto lens is very helpful though.
One of the more erie features of the line are the abandoned section houses and other structures beside the railway. The fog and clouds that sometimes invades the area plus the fact that these are so far from any civilization make a somewhat surreal experience to see one looming in the distance in the fog as the train passes one.
More Travelogues (1)
glabah's Related Pages
Estado do Parana Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wet and wild"
- "estado do parana -"
- "Vila Velha State Park"
- "Famed Waters only One Small Part of State"
- "Serra Verde Express, Curitiba to Morretes, Brazil"
- "Estado do Parana"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Estado do Parana
- Hotels in Estado do Parana
- Transportation in Estado do Parana
- Nightlife in Estado do Parana
- Restaurants in Estado do Parana
- Shopping in Estado do Parana
- Warnings and Dangers in Estado do Parana
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Estado do Parana
- 65 Reviews
- 290 Photos
- 10 Forum posts
- 9 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Estado do Parana?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Estado do Parana
- Posted in Travel United States of America Forum "Re: Would it be easier to get a..."
- updated a Estado do Parana Travel Page "Famed Waters only One Small Part of State"
- Wrote a Review Vila Velha: Large Rocks in the State Park in Estado do Parana Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Paraná "Pine" Tree"
Photos in Estado do ParanaSee All Photos (290)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 155 reviews, 743 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 153 reviews, 645 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tacoma Intro, 81 reviews, 358 photos, 2 travelogues
- Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 26 reviews, 312 photos, 26 travelogues
- Victoria Intro, 73 reviews, 237 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Townsend Intro, 58 reviews, 218 photos, 2 travelogues
- William Finley National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 25 reviews, 208 photos, 12 travelogues
- Washougal Intro, 18 reviews, 196 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salem Intro, 31 reviews, 136 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bremerton Intro, 22 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (42)
Top Estado do Parana hotels
- Foz do Iguaçu Hotels
- 267 Reviews - 637 Photos
- Curitiba Hotels
- 187 Reviews - 427 Photos
- Ilha do Mel Hotels
- 15 Reviews - 87 Photos
- Londrina Hotels
- 33 Reviews - 106 Photos
- Serra da Bocaina Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Arapoti Hotels
- 1 Hotel
- Antonina Hotels
- 4 Reviews - 11 Photos
- São José dos Pinhais Hotels
- 8 Reviews - 9 Photos
- Santo André Hotels
- 4 Hotels
- Rondon Hotels
- 1 Hotel
- Rio Claro Hotels
- 1 Hotel
- Quatro Barras Hotels
- 2 Hotels
- Ponta Grossa Hotels
- 3 Reviews - 2 Photos
- Morretes Hotels
- 9 Reviews - 29 Photos
- Maringá Hotels
- 6 Reviews - 42 Photos